A long night

My eyes lingered on the flickering fire as it slowly died in front of me, each flame reaching out for help as the fuel that once fed it turned to ash. As the fire died, my eyes could see past the large flames, leaving me staring at Link.

Link was sat on a log ,that was turned on its side to cat as a seat. He was also watching the fire slowly die as we both sat in silence. Each second the night grew colder as the flames grew dimmer.

The remaining sparks of fire reflected in links blue eyes, like an ocean set on fire. I watched the sparks dance in Link's eyes, until the once comforting glow of the fire was gone and all that was left was a smoking pile of burnt, black ash.

Link's eyes darted up to meet mine, his eyes were all he needed to communicate what he wanted to say and I agreed. The faster he got to sleep, the faster I could get my job over and done with.

Once we were in bed it was a waiting game. I just had to stay awake until Link fell asleep, which I didn't think would be too hard as he seemed to fall asleep pretty fast but despite the relatively short time I had to wait, it felt like a century of waiting, each second like an eternity. Each breath I took going slowly in and out, matching with the same rhythmic breaths of Link. The sounds of an owl being a momentary distraction to get time to pass by but after all my hopeless attempts to make time go by faster, Link was asleep. He was finally asleep.

I rolled over, gripping my backpack. I slowly fiddled with the zip as I quickly but quietly opened the bag. I held the zip between two fingers and crept the zip along the bag until it was undone.

Finally opening the compartment of the backpack, I reached in, gripping the handle of my familiar weapon. I pulled out the blade, its sharp edge glimmering ever so slightly in the little amount of light that the moon cast into the tent.

I clenched the handle so hard that veins popped out of my hand and my fingers trembled with stress and fear. Sweat rolled down my forehead, a raindrop of anxiety that tempted me to give up but I wouldn't listen to my body. I just had to remember why I was doing this...

Why was I doing this? For the Yiga Clan? For Master Kohga? Yes but why did they want Link dead? Was their purpose something I really wanted to support?

Questions flooded my mind like a tidal wave of confusion. I had never ever stoped to think about what the Yiga Clan really wanted. I had blindly followed the people who took me in and raised me because I felt in debt to them but was I really doing the right thing?

Although I had barely spent any time with them, Link and Zelda were clearly good people and I'm sure their intentions were pure and noble, so why did I have to kill them, how would that benefit the world? Have I been used by the Yiga Clan my whole life?

I released my grip around the handle of my blade, the weapon fell back into the back with a soft thud. I couldn't do this.

I climbed out of bed, carrying my bag with me as I headed for the door of the tent. I looked back over my shoulder at Link sleeping peacefully in his sleeping bag. I knew that if I left now I would never get the chance to kill him again and I knew that if I failed my mission, if I betrayed the Yiga Clan, I would never be welcomed back to the place I had grown up, my home, my family but something, some new feeling I had never felt before kept me from slicing his throat.

I rubbed my eyes with my fists as I woke myself up to the situation I was in. What was my plan? I had to make sure Princess Zelda was okay, after all Ooma was in the same tent as her and as far as I was aware, Ooma was still committed to the Yiga as much as I had once been and that made her a serious threat.

I gripped the fabric of the tent, opening it and stepping out into the cool night air, it was dark but the moon and the stars above made it brighter than in the tent. There was an eerie silence that fell over the camp as I exited the tent.