Part II

Jackson was never one who enjoyed visiting homes of others, most especially family homes. They held a weird sense of peace and love to it and he felt odd. Like some kind of misplacement, as if he was ruining it.

A man like he was not to be seated in the living room drinking hot soup opposite a loving couple.

Jackson brought the wooden spoon close to his mouth, drinking down the hot chicken soup slowly. Roman sat across from him with a bowl in his hands, his wife next to him, only holding a sweet smile as she clasped her hands together.

"It is an honor having you in my house, General Anderson," she smiled at him softly. She did not look much older than he, perhaps the same age as Vaughn.

With curled brunette hair falling to her shoulders effortlessly, a rotund small body and good body posture. Her face was pale but cheeks strawberry pink. She dressed modestly with no corset, only a gray gown and white apron around her waist, which paired with a bonnet over her head.

Jackson had to admit, Isabella was quite beautiful and held a pleasant personality, her strawberry pink lips stretched with a smile as she placed a hand over her growing girth.

Jackson had to look away, remembering they had not addressed the elephant in the room. Roman had never announced to him that he was yet to be a father.

"No, it is my pleasure meeting Roman's wife, I appreciate the warm welcome. Happy anniversary, by the way. Apologies for not bringing a gift, I had only learnt of it an hour ago."

She placed a hand on her chest with a chuckle. "Your presence is enough of a gift. Roman here speaks a lot about you the times he visits," she covered the left side of her face and inched closer to Jackson, as if doing this would make her husband not hear her words.

"Bella, do not exaggerate it," Roman smirked at her. Isabella turned her head and smiled up at him, hitting a hand on his knee with a laugh.

"What? Is it not true?"

Jesus Christ, Jackson thought. The tension was suffocating him. He rolled his eyes around the room to anything but the couple opposite him. His sight immediately landed on a blue small crib just in the corner of the living room.

"A boy?" Jackson thought to himself, however loud enough for the other two to hear. 

"Yes, we are positive it will be a boy," she said with a little embarrassment.

After all, her and her husband had been praying for a son first, one to be as strong as he and just as courageous to keep his young sisters that will follow safe.

"Oh, I see," Jackson murmured, still gazing at the crib as he took a spoon of his soup, a reflex now.

"Do you have children?" Isabella asked curiously.

"Bella," her husband jolted his head to her.

Jackson raised his right hand, asking for Roman to stop.

"I look like it?" He smiled at her.

"Well, not exactly. But telling from your eyes," she inclined her head to the crib, "you must love your family."

"My only family is my brother," he corrected, "and—" he stopped himself, wondering if Elizabeth was one to be considered as family. Yes, she was his wife but... family?

Jackson stared down into his bowl, watching a small piece of chicken breast float at the top. He was confused by his feelings for Elizabeth. As the days went by, his feelings towards her grew much more differently from his first sight of her.