Part III

"That is not possible, I lost the child weeks ago," Elizabeth looked up at Isabella as if she had just accused her of murder. Elizabeth went on to explain the story of when she found out she would be expecting up until she lost the child with Simon and Hector.

Jackson crossed his arms over his chest and flinched at the story, as if he was hearing it for the first time. Isabella's face shifted from discomfort to empathy, whilst her husband kept a steady expression, only shifting the eyes from Jackson to Elizabeth.

"Now we're even," Roman remembered Jackson's last words to Simon , "two men with no children."

"Would you let a man live if you knew he touched and violated your wife?"

I don't think I would, Roman thought to himself. He looked towards Isabella, glancing at their unborn child. I don't think I would bear any of it.

"But if my observations are right—which they usually are," Isabella spoke, "I could say you were at least three to four weeks pregnant."

"Then are you saying she never lost the child?" Jackson asked in amazement.

Isabella shook her head.

"What about the blood? How do you explain that?" Elizabeth's eyes glossed up at Isabella for quick answers.

"That may have just been your own. The beatings may have caused internal bleedings," she shrugged.

Elizabeth asked no further. She looked down at her bandaged abdomen, holding a hand over. A tear slid down her face, and in no minute, she was crying silently. Jackson quickly moved to her side.

"We'll be outside," Isabella pursed her lips together, holding her husband's hand before walking out together.

"I never lost the child," Elizabeth finally smiled up at Jackson, her smile watery as she tried keeping her cries in. A part of her felt happy that their child lived through all that torture.

"Such a strong child," she finally broke down, cupping her face in her hands.

Jackson hugged her from her side, resting her head on his shoulder. Elizabeth's cries were filled with every emotion possible; joy, guilt, relief, grief and sorrow.

They still lost the child, that time it was for real.

Jackson was at least glad that she could no longer blame herself for what  never happened. Now, he blamed himself for what actually happened.

"You were a strong mother," he encouraged, "thank you."

To think all those moments he lay with her, he laughed with her, comforted her, touched her, she still had their child. His child. Carrying a part of him all along.

It brought a sense of happiness Jackson had not experienced for a long time.

The couple stayed in each other's arms for a considerable amount of time, glad to just be together again. That was the most at peace Elizabeth had ever felt, just in Jackson's arms.

She felt like she belonged there, like his body was meant to hold her, like he was home.

"I wonder if it was a girl." Elizabeth had finally composed herself enough to speak through. "I would have liked a girl."

Jackson reached a hand for hers, interlocking her hot fingers with his. Her temperature was rising and her complexion was paling. From the way she griped his hand, he feared she lost her strength too.

Gulp.

C'mon, stay with me, mi vida. Jackson gave a silent prayer, closing his eyes and taking in her sweet scent.