Chapter 19

*Brooke's pov*
"What?" I stood there shocked. Johnny Cade killed a soc? Little timid Johnny? And Ponyboy helped? No this isn't right. Johnny or Pony could never hurt a fly. They wouldn't do that. The soc must of hurt them. My eyes were wide open and so was my mouth.
"The police said they killed a kid named Bob, but they don't know all the details. But I'm guessing Pony and Johnny must of skipped town."
I was shocked. But I could tell that Soda was even more shocked, and even more worried. Darry came out of the kitchen.
"I'm calling Dally. He probably helped them skip town."
Soda and I sat on the couch, I rubbed Soda's back.
"Dally? It's Darry. Where are you?"
Darry was talking very sternly.
"Well I need you to come here now. Ok I'll see you then."
Darry slammed the phone down and put his face in his hands.
"It's gonna be ok Sodapop."
"What if it's not?" He said lifting his face from his hands, "What if he's not? What if he is sent to jail? What if the socs go and kill him for revenge? It's not ok. None of this is ok." He got up and paced the room.
"Soda," Darry said looking up at him, "we have to think positive. We can't just think it's all gonna go bad."
Sodapop kept pacing and rubbing his face.
"Ok," he said as he stopped pacing and looked at Darry, "Fine I'll be positive. Even though my brother has killed someone and is missing. Yeah I'll just be so happy!"
He stomped off into his room and slammed the door. Darry breathed heavy and rubbed his forehead.
"Darry?"
He looked up.
"Yeah?"
"I just want you both to know that I'll be here for ya'll. I've had to deal with similar stuff back in Florida. So whatever ya'll need, I'll be here."
He smiled a little.
"Well thanks Brooke, but I don't really need any help right now," he looked down the hall at Sodapop's door, "but I think you know who does."
I nodded and started to make my way to his room. I knocked lightly.
"Sodapop? Can I come in?"
It took him a minute to answer.
"Yeah whatever."
I opened the door slowly, closing it behind me.
Soda was laid out on the bed with his face stuffed in a pillow.
"Sodapop? Do you want to talk?"
He lifted his face from the pillow, his cheeks wet with tears.
"How can this be happening Brooke? First we lose Mom and Dad and now we may lose Ponyboy."
He kept crying as he laid his head on my shoulder.
"Listen Sodapop, I've had some similar stuff happen to me before. And yeah it sucks when someone close to you is missing and you may never see them again. Even though none of it was their fault, but they are still the ones who are having to take the blame. It's awful, because you feel helpless and you just want to be able to hug them one last time."
I needed to be quiet. I shouldn't say to much about what happened in Florida.
"It seems like you really know how this feels," he looked up at me, "how do you know?"
I was quiet.
"Oh it's nothing really um so are you ok now?"
"Yeah I guess so. I just want to know that Pony is ok."
"He's a smart kid Sodapop, he'll get through this."
I hugged Soda as he stopped crying.
Then all of a sudden we heard someone screaming. We ran out of Soda's room and Dally was facing Darry as he was screaming in his face.
"Listen man I don't know where the kids are ok? They are probably fine."
Dally said blatantly lying.
Darry was up in his face now.
"Dallas Winston if Ponyboy or Johnny is hurt because of the place you sent them, you're gonna regret ever being born."
Sodapop ran up to Darry pulling him away from Dally.
"Darry," Soda said," Don't get mad at him, he probably found them a safe place. If he wouldn't of they'd be in jail right now."
"Fine whatever, I'm still mad at him though."
Darry walked into the kitchen.
"Can I leave now?" Dally asked.
"No I need to give you something." Sodapop ran to his room.
Dally and I were standing there alone.
"You know," I said to Dally, "they just want to know that Ponyboy and Johnny are safe. They don't mean anything by it."
"Yeah yeah." Dally said lighting his cigarette.
"Really Dally, they just don't want Pony or Johnny to get into anymore trouble they already are. So just remember that."
"Whatever doll."
Sodapop came running out of his room with a folded piece of paper in his hand.
"Here," he hand it to Dally, "give this to Ponyboy."
"I told you I don't know where he is."
"Well if you do happen to see him in the hideout you got for him, please give it to him."
"Ok Soda."
Dally walked out the door breathing out smoke from his cigarette.