Chapter Twelve - London

Northcott House was situated on one of the most respectable and high-end streets of London. I knew this because, although we'd passed through stinky, muddy, grimy, sections of the city, areas so revolting Henry had drawn the carriage curtains to keep out the scenery and attempt to block out the stench, this street could not be more immaculate. Paved with cobblestone, and each side lined with drainage, the street almost glittered in the sunlight. Trees with little fences around them sat in neat rows, their branches trimmed into perfect balls. Each house, although standing barely a few feet apart, stretched up three or four stories, all with large windows and facades so perfectly white the sun reflected off them and hurt my eyes.

As the last to emerge from the carriage, I took a moment to gaze around at the magnificent building. Although not as expansive as the mansion, this home reflected the Northcott family's dignity and wealth just as equally within the confines of the London streets.

Inside, the staff met us, all dressed in immaculate servant clothing of reds and wigs. In the mansion, the servants only dressed so formally when guests were present, and even then, only those who would be visible.

The butler took Henry's hat and traveling cape, while a maid offered to take my own. Henry raised his hand to stop her. "I would like to present to you all, my new wife and the presiding Lady Northcott."

I gave a bow of my head while the staff bowed and curtsied deeply.

"She has her handmaid, so please ensure the woman is situated close by, and I would appreciate you taking the time to situate my wife in the suite adjoining my own."

Several of the maids gasped, apparently horrified. I didn't understand why since Henry and I were married. I knew from my time in the mansion that the lord and lady always had separate bedchambers, but I had no idea why being neighbors would provoke such scandal.

I was led upstairs to a room far less expansive than the one at the mansion, but it did contain all the same features; a small washroom, and a sitting area at the foot of the bed rather than separated. On the north wall, a door led to another room, presumably Henry's suite.

Fanny unpacked my meager luggage of a handful of dresses and some of the jewelry I'd inherited. My goal was to find fabrics to have gowns made to wear with the jewels in the latest fashions. The necklaces, bracelets, broaches, rings, and earrings, all held a classic timeless style, and it was my greatest honor to have inherited them and I would treat them with the dignity of their intended bestowal by the previous ladies of Northcott.

When she finished unpacking my things, Fanny departed to settle herself in for our stay. Barely moments after she left, Henry emerged through the door in the wall, confirming my assumption.

"I have this for you." He handed me an envelope. "If it is not enough, I can get you more."

I opened it to find quite a collection of bank notes and coins.

"I believe there are several places where the accounts of my mother and Louisa remained open for the eventual succession of another Lady Northcott, so you may not need to carry money, but this is just in case you do."

"I do not think I have seen so much money all at once," I said, closing the paper. "I cannot comprehend spending all of it."

He grinned. "You are a good wife, Amelia. You will not make me broke."

I chuckled. "Ahh, now I see a grand advantage to marrying me."

He lifted my chin and softly kissed me. "Shall I go with you? I would love to escort you myself and show you all my favorite places, and possibly introduce you to people of my acquaintance."