Chapter Fourteen - Duel

Our lovemaking that night came ravenous, as if Henry had been starved of my affections for months. When he eventually fell asleep, spent from his exertions, I lay on my back satisfied and content as I drifted to sleep.

He stirred me from sleep before dawn break. Grasping his clothing reminded me of the terrible act he had to perform. I shot up and wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Do not go," I whispered, pressing my cheek against his back.

"I must," he said with a sigh. "But I will keep my promise and return swiftly to you."

"Or stay." I used my nakedness to try to entice him to climb back into bed with me.

"Oh, Millie, you are my vice." Turning to me, he brushed his thumb over my cheek and caught me by the waist. "But it is to protect you I must go. He has threatened you, and I cannot let any man think I would stand by and allow even the thought of harming you to be tolerated."

"Kiss me, then," I whispered, pressing against him. "And I will count the minutes until you return."

He kissed me hungrily, to the point where I thought I may have seduced him back into his bed, but he drew away from me. In the dim morning light, I watched his silhouette rush from the room.

*

Pacing the music room, I watched the grandfather clock's pendulum rock back and forth. Hours had passed since Henry left, and the time left me with a terrible sense of dread.

"I'm sure he'll be all right, lady," Fanny said softly as she stood twisting her hands in the corner. "He's strong and brave."

"He promised he'd come straight home," I responded, clinging to my arms. "He has been gone too long. What if he's lying in a pool of his own blood, slowly dying? Oh, Fanny, the thought makes me sick to the stomach. Is there nothing I can do?"

"We must have patience."

The servant door creaked open. I swung around. Mrs. Kent curtsied deeply, wearing the apron of a laundry maid. "My lady."

I sunk onto an armchair. "He's dead, isn't he?"

She twisted her hands, not looking at me. "I do not know the outcome of the duel."

I let out a puff of air. "I cannot bare this torture."

"Lady Amelia," Mrs. Kent said, keeping well back from me. I then noticed her hesitance to approach, but my mind reeled with all the terrible things that could have happened to Hank.

"I would like to apologize, my lady," Mrs. Kent said. "You are a gracious lady, and I was vicious and selfish."

"Mrs. Kent." I rubbed my temple, struggling to keep my composure. This wasn't the time for groveling. "Please send a man to discover what has transpired with my husband. If he is dead, I must know it. If he is injured, I must rush to assist. Whatever his delay, I must know it at once."

Mrs. Kent curtsied. "I will have someone sent immediately."

She departed. I couldn't sit still so I began to pace again. He wouldn't have broken his promise, would he? He knew my distress, but he had broken promises to me on other occasions to see to other matters first. Could he be doing that even now?

"Mistress, it's Mr. Little." Fanny pointed out the front window.

I rushed over to peer outside. Ezra leaped up the steps leading to the house. The door burst open. Ignoring all rules of decorum, I rushed to meet him. He raised his hands to calm me. "The master is fine, my lady," he said as tears threatened to burst free from my eyes. "He sent me to inform you he is unharmed."