Chapter Five - Suite

Lord Northcott and I rode in the same carriage up to the mansion. No one else rode with us. I'd never been completely alone with a man before, so I sat rigid, my mother's warning about pain repeating in my mind.

In the darkness, Lord Northcott entwined his fingers with mine. I didn't move, just focused on breathing. He leaned closer, nuzzling against my neck before finally kissing the tender skin there. My heart raced as my breathing grew rapid. Fear of the unknown pain kept me rigid as he lips wandered down my collarbone.

But he stopped. After a moment, his fingers found my face. "You are frightened."

"Nay, my lord," I whispered.

"Ahh, lying to protect me." He sat back with a thud. "Please do not lie to me, Millie. I can tell because when you are comfortable, you call me Hank."

I turned my face away to watch the approaching mansion glistening in the full moon's light. I didn't want him to know I feared the act that was expected of me, that would bring him great pleasure and, according to so many, was the only reason he married me.

"There is no shame in being afraid of your wedding night," he whispered, and his breath made my hairs tickle my neck. "It speaks volumes, testifying of your chastity."

"What if I do not wish to..." I bit my lip to suppress the thought that had slipped free.

"My darling, I will not force you." He touched my cheek and turned me to face him. "I promise to be gentle and to listen to your needs. I made a vow to never hurt you, remember?"

"Yes," I whispered, the light from the mansion illuminating his face as we came to a stop. "But this is different. My mother—"

The carriage door opened, and I snapped my mouth shut. Speaking of such things in front of others would be shameful.

Lord Northcott—Henry—Hank—climbed out first. He offered me his hand, and with the help of the footman, they maneuvered the hoopskirt I wore out of the carriage.

Servants lined the path up to the entry and filled the foyer as we entered. All bowed or curtsied. Lord Northcott tapped on my hand around his elbow. "I know it is late, but I appreciate all of you being here to welcome my wife to her new home. It will be an adjustment for all to have a lady of the house after several years without, but I can assure you that your new Lady Northcott will be as generous and kind as the previous two ladies who presided here. She has my devotion, my loyalty, and my support. Her word is my word." He smiled down at me, his eyes soft. "With her here, I intend to stay for quite some time. My estate in the colonies runs efficiently on its own now, so I can remain here. The Northcott Manor is now my utmost priority."

Joyous whispering erupted.

He raised his hand. "Now, it is late for all, so return to your homes and families. I will require only a few essential staff tomorrow, so everyone else enjoy your day off work. Dismissed."

Mrs. Kent cleared her throat. "My lord?"

Lord Northcott turned to face her. "Is there a problem?"

"Lady Northcott needs to be shown to her suite." She bowed her head. "I have several maids set aside for her personal staff."

Lord Northcott's expression darkened. He cast his gaze over the crowd. "I said dismissed."

The servants rushed about, in a hurry to obey. I leaned closer to him, not liking the tension in him.

"Henry," I said softly as the staff pressed out the doorways. "Why are you upset?"

"Mrs. Kent," he muttered, his eyes narrowing.