Chapter Twenty-One - Harvest Festival

The harvest festival came with the chill of an early winter wind. Despite the change in temperature, the townsfolk pulled together games, music, and delicious food.

"T'was a good harvest this year," Henry told me as we rode in the carriage to the main street where the heart of festivities took place. "Spirits were high among the workers from our marriage."

"Then we should marry every year," I replied, wrapping my arm around his.

"I'd like that." His eyes sparkled, making me blush. His grin appeared and he said, "I am receiving reports of a good harvest in Virginia as well. Our income should be substantial this year. How do you think I should spend it? Some new dresses for you? Maybe a little dog? I've heard many ladies like companion animals."

"I do not need those things." I tapped his forearm. "Why not give your workers a bonus? I am sure it will help bolster their spirits."

"Ooph." His brows creased. "Extra money? I fear they'll think I've gone soft and will try to milk more from me."

"Or it will be a fair reward for their efforts in maintaining your wealth."

He raised an eyebrow. "Your perspective is far different from most folk with whom I consult."

"Well, most people you consult were not raised as common."

"You are not common," he said with a growl, "and never were."

"I was born as your family's vasal. Nothing will change that, Henry, so do not try to deny it."

His jaw clenched as his head snapped around to look out the window. "So, you believe I should disperse some of the extra increase among my workers? What of the other townsfolk?"

"The ones who worked for it are the ones that deserve it." I squeezed his arm. "You have men who supervise, and you spent time among them while they harvested the crops. You know who was out there."

"Yes, but won't the blacksmith want some because he made the tools? And the carpenter for making the wagons? Or the shoemaker for providing boots, and the shepherds for maintaining the flocks—"

"Those who harvested." I turned his face to look at me. "None more. If others see they are rewarded for their work, they will work harder to receive their own reward. That will also benefit you because everything else will become more productive and profitable."

His eyes narrowed. "Are you certain?"

"Relatively." I pressed a soft kiss on his lips. "Try it and see what happens."

"It is unconventional," he muttered, following my lips as they retreated. "Although, since you recommend it, I'll give it a trial here. Heaven knows I need to keep my workers in Virginia satisfied. All these rumors of uprisings have me on edge. If your idea works here, I'll send word to do the same there. Hopefully it can pacify them."

I frowned. "Are you concerned they will rebel against you?"

"Amelia." He kissed me firmly on the lips, then said, "I spent the past three years there. I trust them, and they know me. I am not some distant English lord to them. Do not concern yourself with such matters. I was simply commenting that your idea could be quite useful."

The carriage came to a halt, making him turn toward the door, so thankfully, he didn't see my scowl. Do not concern myself with such matters? How could I not? If something were to happen, he'd insist on going there, and with all the reports of tension, I did not want to be forced into a dangerous area as he dragged me along with him.

Ezra opened the door and Henry leapt out. Offering me his hand, I climbed out and stood beside Henry. The scene swept all my troubled thoughts aside as I returned to a place I'd known since childhood. The delicious scent of meats cooking, the glowing bonfire as the centerpiece, and in the field beside the church, several games were played.