official chat!

AN: for background info, this one-shot takes place after steven gets back to cousins (nothing in the finale occurs in this and it won't)

and before we get into the story, let's just take a moment of gratitude for the MOST AMAZING LOVELY PERFECT TAYLOR JEWEL CONFESSION MISS JENNY HAN GAVE US IN THE SEASON 2 FINALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😭😭😭

AND TEAM STAYLOR BEING THE OFFICIAL SHIP NAME THEY'RE SO REAL FOR IT

the way she said she had a crush on him for the longest time and it was embarrassing because of HOW MUCH she liked him is the most embarrassingly relatable line i think i've ever heard a character say in my entire life, like taylor babe i am in the exact same boat🫠

rain spencer is honestly the queen!! like i need to see my girl in more interviews and more shows and everything because home girl has TALENT

and don't even get me started on mr. sean kaufman. i love that man so darn much. like don't marry your gf please. marry me instead!!! 😁

also omfg milo's diss track was the most hilarious but so effing embarrasing thing ever... my guy really thought he did something. like no, babe, staylor is still very vibrant and is still 100% happening. 

"getting even with steven"💀 bro really thought he was the next taylor swift with the lyrics (he'll never even be signed to a record label i'm telling ya now)

anyways, onto the one-shot

✫彡✫彡✫彡✫彡✫彡✫彡✫彡✫彡✫彡

steven was walking in the mall looking for something to gift to taylor when he spotted her walking out of starbucks and immediately turned around and started the opposite way, away from her.

"steven?" taylor asked when she realized it was him and then began speed walking to catch up with him. "steven, what are you doing?"

steven avoided her eyes as he quickened his pace when he told her, "oh, i'm just looking for something to get my mom for her birthday."

taylor squinted judgingly at him. "steven, your mom's birthday isn't until november. what, are you stalking me now or something?"

"no," steven replied far too quickly. "no. sorry. i was just shopping for--uh-- for new clothes! i'm sure if you asked any other princeton man they would say they don't wear what i'm wearing right now."

taylor couldn't help but laugh. "yeah, okay, whatever. that totally makes sense. why are you trying to mom walk away from me right now?"

"i just have to get home soon," steven lied. "my mom needs help making dinner, and she needed me to pick up some kitchen utensils before i came home. i was already here picking up something for belly."

taylor sighed. "your mom doesn't even cook dinner anymore, steven. she hasn't since susannah's death. i'm not an idiot. now, will you please tell me why you're actually here and why you're repeatedly lying to me about it?"

"i-- i'm not lying," steven lied defensively.

taylor gave him a look. "i'm not!" he repeated.

taylor rolled her eyes. "you know what, whatever. i really don't have time to put up with this kind of crap right now. i have to get stuff ready for camp. do you know if belly's decided to come or not?"

steven shook his head. taylor nodded and said, "okay, thanks for nothing. i'll see you later, or maybe not. bye, steven."

"wait!" steven exclaimed. "wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! taylor, i'm sorry! please don't leave yet!"

taylor slowed her walking down so he could catch up to her. "do you really wanna know why i'm here?" steven asked her.

"yes," taylor said. "i mean, i just don't get why you're lying to me. i thought you trusted me now."

steven shook his head and took her hand. "i'm sorry. i'm sorry, taylor. i'm an idiot. believe me, i do trust you. i was-- i was actually here for you."

taylor squinted at him suspiciously. "so you were stalking me."

"no, no," steven said, shaking his head with a smile. "i was here looking for something for you."

"for me?" taylor asked, taken aback and a little confused. "why would you be getting something for me?"

steven smiled and sighed. "because, i wanted-- i wanted to get something for you. especially-- especially if you're my--" he stopped in his tracks. were they even technically official yet? he frowned, not knowing what to call her.

"your what?" taylor asked with a gleam in her eye.

steven tilted his head and laughed before saying, "with my potential girlfriend."

taylor raised an eyebrow and smiled before asking, "wow, steven. are you actually asking me to be your girlfriend?"

"yes," steven said firmly, taking both of her hands into his and looking her directly in the eyes. "taylor madison jewel, will you be my girlfriend?"

taylor's face melted into a smile. "yes, steven. i'll be your girlfriend, as long as you promise not to act like a complete fool."

steven pulled her in close and dipped her into a kiss. "well then," he said, pulling her back into a normal standing position, "if you must know, i was looking for something to buy for my girlfriend."

taylor gasped sarcastically. "your girlfriend? oh my god, steven, you have a girlfriend! i'm so proud of you! what is she like?" she asked.

"well," steven said, taking her hand into his and swinging it as they walked towards the door to leave, "she's absolutely horrible at making jokes. she's a pretty okay dancer, though."

taylor's jaw dropped in offense. "i make great jokes! they're way better than dad jokes, steven."

steven shrugged. "ehhhh. we'll see. you're a really good kisser, though."

"oh," taylor said with a smile, "am i?"

steven nodded before stopping and pulling her into another kiss. "a hundred and ten percent, tay tay."