Chapter 16: Understanding the Features and Diagnosis of PCOS

The three primary symptoms of PCOS must be familiarized with in order to fully comprehend the disorder and its diagnosis:

Irregular Periods: One of the primary indicators of PCOS is irregular menstrual cycles. This means that the ovaries do not consistently release eggs (ovulation). The absence of regular ovulation can lead to difficulties in achieving pregnancy. PCOS may be indicated if you have irregular periods or extended intervals between menstrual cycles.

Excess Androgen: High amounts of androgens, or "male" hormones, are a hallmark of PCOS in female bodies. This hormonal imbalance can show up physically as male-pattern baldness, acne, or excessive facial or body hair growth (hirsutism). It is important to remember that not all PCOS sufferers show outward indications of an excess of androgen.

Polycystic Ovaries: Contrary to the term, a person does not necessarily have polycystic  ovaries if they have PCOS. Instead, it describes the expansion of the ovaries and the existence of a significant number of follicles, which are fluid-filled sacs. The eggs are kept inside of these follicles. But in PCOS-affected women, the follicles might not grow normally or might not release an egg during ovulation.

In general, at least two of these characteristics must be present in order to be diagnosed with PCOS. However, it's crucial to seek the advice of a medical expert for a complete assessment and confirmation.

Now, let's explore how healthcare providers test for PCOS:

Ultrasound Scan: To inspect and evaluate the structure of the ovaries, an ultrasound scan is frequently utilized. If there are more follicles (polycystic ovaries), this scan can assist identify them. It's crucial to remember that PCOS is not always indicated by the existence of polycystic ovaries. Together with the results of the ultrasonography, additional diagnostic criteria must be taken into account.

Hormone Level Testing: Hormone levels in the body can be assessed by blood tests. These tests aid in detecting any hormonal imbalances, including high androgen levels. The medical professional may also conduct screenings for additional illnesses like diabetes or high cholesterol, which are frequently linked to PCOS.

It is critical to realize that a mix of clinical indications, symptoms, and medical assessments are used to make the diagnosis of PCOS. To arrive at a definitive diagnosis, the healthcare professional will review your medical history, carry out a physical exam, and evaluate the findings of diagnostic testing.

A PCOS diagnosis can help you understand the underlying reasons of your symptoms and provide you the freedom to explore the best management techniques to support your health and wellbeing.