Chapter /2

Freezing in place, I don't know how to react for a while. Trying to collect my thoughts, I suddenly hear a loud growl in the distance. What could this be? A wild animal or a monster? For a moment I decide to take the girl home, but I remember that I don't even know where I am.

"You brought me here, right? Take me back home?" I say, to the creature.

"Home? I thought you were one of us?" it replies.

"One of who? Teleport me back to the fountain! Now!" I demand, in a serious tone.

Suddenly, a circle of bright and sparkly light appears around us, enveloping everything and momentarily transporting us, back to the fountain again. From there I carry the girl on my back, taking her home. Right now I'm very confused and I don't understand anything, but I just know that I have to help her. Completely forgetting what I got outside for in the first place, I walk into my apartment and leave the girl lying on the couch, in the living room. The creature follows me and sits down next to her, giving her a sad look.

"Do you happen to have a name?" I finally ask, the cat-like being.

"Yes, my name is Pix. What about yours?" It responds, in a heartbeat.

"I'm Ciana. So Pix, can you tell me who's this and what happened?" I blurt out.

"That's Alice. She fought with the night ogres, but they defeated her. Thankfully, they didn't take away her necklace." Pix explains.

"Her necklace? She has the same as mine, right?" I ask, confused.

"It seems, that's why I assumed you were one of us. The guardians." it continues.

"Guardians? No, I found this in one of my mom's boxes. It's not mine." I quickly defend, myself.

"So, does that mean that your mom is a guardian?" Pix asks, whispering.

"I'm not sure, I don't even know what we're talking about." I raise, an eyebrow.

At that moment, Alice slowly wakes up. She's looking around, as she tries to sit up, on the couch. I quickly get up, to give her a glass of water and then I decide to give Pix some milk.

"How are you feeling?" I ask, her.

"A bit tired, who are you?" she takes a sip, from the water.

"I'm Ciana. I found you in the woods and decided to take you home, so you can rest." I explain, to her.

"Thank you, I see that you're a guardian, as well." Alice says, staring at my necklace.

"Not really, I fear." Pix interrupts.

Meanwhile, we hear the front door getting unlocked. My mom and dad have arrived, from the wedding. Entering the living room they find me, Alice and Pix sitting on the couch, but surprisingly they don't seem to be confused, at all. They both appear very calm and I'm starting to feel, like they have something, very important to tell me.

"Ciana, where did you find that necklace?" my mom asks.

"It was in one of the boxes. Is it yours?" I hold, onto the star pendant.

"No, it was your sister's." my dad says.

"Sister? I don't have a sister, I'm an only child." my eyes widen, in shock.

"She died, before you were born. Your sister Nella was a guardian. That necklace belongs to her." my mom sits down, in front of me.

"What? Why didn't you tell me, about any of this? What about you, are you guardians too?" I yell, on the verge of tears.

"We didn't want you, to follow her path.
Also no, we're not, but we sure aren't, from this planet." my dad replies.

"Still, I believe that Ciana didn't find that necklace by chance, the necklace found her." Pix adds, sitting on my lap.