057. spa day

They're at the police station in town for a case that Dean found. They dropped the kids off at Jody's.

"Thanks for your patience, agents. Coroner's report finally came in." Sheriff Donna Hanscum walks up to them.

"All right, thank you." Sam says, taking the file. "All right, let's see. Did Wayne McNut really weigh 300 pounds just moments before time of death?"

"316 to be exact." Donna says.

"And the official cause of death?" Sam asks.

"Cardiac arrest. But between you and me, that's just a guess. The vic suffered massive organ damage." Donna says. "Here you go, Jenny." She hands a woman at a desk a file. "Ruptured spleen, pierced liver, collapsed lung. Looked like everything was just sucked right out of him."

"Like he'd been hoovered?" Dean asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, you know, I got to be honest, fellas, miss." Donna takes a powdered donut and offers them one. Dean immediately goes to grab one. "We're stumped. This type of thing just doesn't happen in Stillwater."

Donna takes a big bite out of her donut, getting powder on her mouth and tie.

"Now, did Wayne have any enemies?" Sam asks.

"Hmm. More like an unfriendly rivalry." Donna says. Dean eats his donut, powder covering his face and mouth.

"A guy named "Slim Jim" Morgan. Like Wayne, he was pretty well known in the competitive eatin' circuit." Donna says.

Sam looks up, noticing the powder on Dean's face. He tries to subtly motion to his brother to wipe his face. Dean wipes the side of his mouth, not getting any of the powder off.

"Competitive eating circuit?" Sam returns his attention to the case. "Is that a big thing out here?"

"Oh, yeah. You betcha. Folks take it real seriously -- train for months. Eat all sorts of wackadoo stuff, you know, like, uh... baked beans, buff wings, butter."

"Butter?" Dean asks.

"Yeah. Sometimes deep fried." Donna says and Dean hums, taking another bite of his donut, getting more powder on him.

"This year alone, Wayne won the Butter Bowl, the Wing Ding, and Shrimptasia. Anyhoo, point being, Wayne McNut was the only one Slim Jim couldn't beat in the whole Great Lakes region." Donna explains.

"So is he a suspect?" Dean asks.

"We checked him out, but Slim Jim was in the Hot Doggery at the time of Wayne's death, and we got 15 witnesses to prove it." Donna says.

"Really?"

"Ya."

+++

They're at Slim Jim's house and in the kitchen as he eats a giant bowl of lettuce.

"Training. When I gear up for a competition, I eat lettuce -- stretches the stomach." Slim Jim says.

"Yet another reason to stay away from salads." Dean says.

"How well did you know Wayne McNut?" Sam asks.

"Well, well enough to know he was a weasel and a cheat. I hate to say it, but, uh, karma's a bitch." Slim Jim says.

"This is interesting." Dean says, looking at the shelf of spell jars and funny shaped boxes.

"Mala's good luck charms." Slim Jim says.

"And Mala is...?" Dean asks.

"My old lady." Slim Jim says.

"Is your old lady superstitious?" Dean asks.