Part 1

(Please read description before reading part one. Thank you!!!!)

Today's the day, I say to myself as I sit staring at the mirror. No longer am I considered a child, but today I am a graduate. I have accomplished primary schooling with flying grades. What happens next is the mystery. In the Confederation of the North American Alliance (the place in which I inhabit), all graduates are required to either take place in the Integrity Syllabus or to continue on with further schooling. However, I don't decide if I participate in IS, the Confederation does. I guess my opinion doesn't count for squat. IS offers a chance at a better education than you would recieve at ones simple province, a chance at fortune and fame, and a job offering of a life time. It is said that your academic ability, your athleticism, and your overall mind set qualifies you in IS. Although this is an honorable path that most would consider a chance of a lifetime, I am not sure that I'm ready to sacrifice my life. Ever since I was young, I was told that to participate meant that I could be the leader everyone hopes for. If I'm able to pass the test, I would move on to step two, the Training Program. It would also mean that I would get a chance at being a premium. But no one ever speaks of the people that don't pass.  Do they just disappear off the face of earth? I sit here in my bland dormitory, wondering.

"Aurey"

I'm pulled from my day dreams by the sound of a young girl's voice. My little sister Oriana. We only get to spend weekends and holidays together because she is in the lower part of the academy. I only see my brothers on summer solstice break, winter orthodox vacation, and special events like graduation day. I will say my good byes to them soon.

"You can come in Ria.", I tell her. I hear a quiet click of lock and the creak of the door. She walks up to me and stares in the mirror. By appearance, you wouldn't be able to tell we are sisters. Ria has fair skin and golden blonde hair. I on the other hand have olive skin and hair so brown it looks black while wet. She has icy blue eyes, still bright. I have emerald green eyes, once like Rias, but now dampened by hardships. Ria has our mother's looks. Mom was always different, not like anyone else around here. Mom grew up in in a different province, got chosen for the IS, passed but decided she wanted to settle down. She was transfered here, here being the Graceland Province. Soon she met my father and fell in love. Mom married dad and had 5 kids, Graham being the oldest, then Rowan, then me, then Oriana, and finally Beckett . She did all of this before the age of 35. I have my fathers good looks. He was also chosen for the IS. He participated until his mother died. Dad left the IS and went back home. He retained his class as premium but with some regulations. He met mom and the rest is history. I hardly ever see either of them because the government strictly monitors family relationships for possible weaknesses in a person. They cut down the time we are able to spend with them in hopes of nurturing a leader.

Oriana speaks slowly. "If you get chosen, then I might never see you again." I nod my head, confirming her fears.

"Ria, if I'm chosen I need you to promise that you will always fight for what's right. It doesn't matter if that your view is not the popular one. Promise me." I say this, hoping she'll understand the underlying meaning. Fight, even when most don't. Ria wraps her arms around me and buries her face in my hair.

I can barely make out a muffled "I promise."

Just then a voice rings out over the intercom system, "Graduates from sector 5, please report to the conservatory on level 3 of the administration building." I peer into Oriana's eyes. They are filled to the brim with water, as if only another word would make them spill over. I pull her into another hug, resting my head into the crook between her neck and shoulder. We are still only children, Ria and I. Yet here I am, only sixteen, about to face the biggest decision of my life.