Part 2

I step out into the stark hallway with Ria close behind. Slowly, I turn back to face her. Her face once dry is now streaked with tears. "Because you have promised me, I now make a promise to you. Ria, I promise that I will see you again.", I say in a cracked voice. She nods her head and collapses into me for a last hug. I softly kiss her forehead and try to remember this moment. Even though I might not be picked for the IS, I most likely will not be coming back to the Graceland Province. The government will station me where I will have no distractions, atleast until I fall in love. But even then I will still be watched. And if I'm chosen, I will still never be free. Word is the government has been stricter on the IS. You are no longer allowed to pursue a different path after the Integrity Syllabus. It is treason by law. After you are chosen, the government owns you. I start to feel trapped like a caged bird.

Ria and I say our solemn good byes and head down our different paths, hers to the lower dormitory, mine to the administration building. As I walk, I look around at the dormitory that had housed me for years. It was standard grade, clean and bland. I notice students together laughing and hugging, looking forward to the future. I see my friend Beth underneath the big oak tree in the court yard and head towards her. She sees me and waves wildly. "Hi Aurey, isn't today exciting?", Beth calls out to me. Beth has always been optimistic, even when we are never going to see each other again. "Yes I guess", is all I say when I reach her. Together we start walking towards the administration building, Beth chatting along the way. The administration building is a stark difference compared to the rest of campus. The building is one of the only buildings left standing after the nuclear and biological bombings. Most of the new structures are made with a blend of steel and factory grade vanadium, built to last not for beauty. The administration building has characteristics of our past and is why we host the graduations there.

As we enter the building, we take a left towards the grand hall. Beth splits off into her assigned group, as do I. I scan the list of my classmates and quickly find my name and seat number. Arabella Kacey Jacobsen- Seat Number 53. I quietly make my way towards my seat. I find myself between Sara Tumas and Calloway Harris. Both seem nice and have said hello to me when we see each other. I wait for the assembly to begin, hoping that I will get the best possible outcome for myself.

The longer I wait, the more claustrophobic I begin to feel. Trapped in the my cage, waiting to find out my fate. Will I get picked or won't I? Will I be a piece in the government's game? On and on, my thoughts carry me. Until I here a rumble that echoes through the room. It is time to begin. It is time to fly away. But I can't for I am held back by invisible chains.