Part 9

I open my eyes to a flush of people, swarming around me. Looking to the left and right, I slowly take in my surrounding. I'm at a hover-rail station. People are calling my name, asking for my attention. My head swirls, a nauseous feeling rising from my stomach. Anxiety courses through my veins, making me frail and scared. Never have I ever been the center of attention like this.

Sure I've had praise in class after solving a complex calculus problem in less than a minute, or a standing ovation from the City Council and bystanders after I gave my presentation on a new food source that tasted like apples but grew in the soil. It was hardy enough to withstand the radiation left in the earth, but easy to access and produce. But never have I experienced such chaos over such a little thing like my send off.

I am expertly lead through the crowd by an official. Citizens desperately reach out, trying to touch me. I shy away. I head onto the docking platform, waiting patiently for the time to board. Just as the tram arrives, I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around and see a elderly lady peering at me. Her skin looks like it's melting. She opens her mouth and whispers "You're not safe." Just then a gunshot goes off.

I jerk my head forward, flinging the covers off me. Breathing heavily, I look around the room. I see my sister Oriana sleeping soundly in her bed. Sighing in relief, I get up and check the ancient grandfather clock in the hallway. It chimes once, twice. The chimes continue until it reaches seven. 7:00 am. I sit down in the living room, staring into blank space. I wait for my family to wake up.

It is only fifteen minutes before everyone is up. We sit in the living room, a heavy atmosphere surrounding us. My mother gets up to make breakfast, the rationed two eggs, one fruit, a piece of toast, and a glass of milk per person. At the academy, we were monitored daily to find out our exact nutritional needs. Nutrition is key to learning for once you have eaten, your body is stocked with the energy it needs to process the work placed before it. Or at least that's what our professors said when asked.

At around 7:30, we are called into the kitchen to eat the bland food. Some of the richer provinces can afford spices, but all we have is the basic salt and pepper. At 7:45 everyone is done eating. Silence fills the room. The first person to say good bye to my father is Beckett. He runs up quickly and jumps into my father's arms. Beckett is only nine, but is quite tall for his age. My dad laughs and sets him down. They say their farewells and the rest of my family follows suit, each saying their own goodbyes. I am the last one to say my farewell. Tears well up in my eyes as my father wraps his arms around me. He whispers in my ear, "We need to talk. Meet me in my room afterwards." I nod my head. He gives me a tight squeeze and lets go. He heads upstairs saying he's packing and asks for my help. Accepting the request, I follow him. Once we reach the room my father locks the door.

"Arabella, there are things you do not know about the world. It is full of deceit and manipulation. People will fight for the things that they want. The Integrity Syllabus is no different. I remember flashes of what I think was my testing. A girl crying after a test, a boy hiding in a closet, a group of people running away. All remembered through my nightmares. People will be willing to lie and cheat to get a better life. That is exactly what the Integrity Syllabus offers. I don't believe the government cares what happens as long as their little test succeeds. In fact I think the cheater will be rewarded by the confederation if they do it slyly. All I want you to know is be careful who you trust. Your best friend could turn on you if put under enough stress." My father finishes.

I am dumbfounded by what my father has just told me. Is that really what I will be going through for the next several weeks? Why am I just finding this out? I am about to ask when their is a knock at the door. My mothers voice rings out, "Are you finished love? The car to drive you to the station is waiting." My dad calls back "I'm almost done."

He turns to me again and says "I love you Aurey. With all that I am, I hope you get the best from life." He gives me one last kiss on the forehead and walks over to the door. I call back saying "I love you too dad."

And with that he walks out the door.

A/N

Hey guys!!! How did you like the chapter? What do you think of the confederation now? What do you think will happen to Arabella's father? Vote and comment!!! THANKS!!! :D