Chap 5- Akshara realises her mistake

It was early in the morning when the bus arrived at Kasauli. The weather was pretty cold in the early morning hours. As per his promise Abhinav dropped Akshara at his friend's homestay and returned home.

Akshara took a nice warm bath and had her breakfast. She then lay down and wrapped herself in the soft furry quilt provided to her. She was too tired to notice that her phone's battery had died down. With a troubled mind and aching heart, she soon fell asleep.

THE SAME DAY. EVENING 7PM

Akshara woke up peacefully. Thankfully for her, there were no bad dreams this time. She sat up straight and put her phone on charging mode. Her gaze fell on the family whatsapp group. There were several messages. Some from badi maa, some from bade papa. The messages spoke about Neil's demise, Arohi's future, Manjiri's health condition. But absolutely nothing about her. It was clear to her that her badi maa and bade papa were trying to avoid any conflicts between the two families. She exited herself from the group and deleted everyone's phone numbers.

She wasnt angry on anyone. The tragedy had taken both the families by storm. But she knew that all her relations were over. She was all alone on this new journey.

THE NEXT DAY

THE SACRED SOUL RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL, KASAULI

MORNING 11 AM

Akshu sat patiently in the Principal's office. The Principal Dr. Manasvi was going through her college certificates.

"Mrs......I am sorry Ms. Akshara," Dr.Manasvi said," you say that the only experience you have is working in the music therapy department in your ex'husband's hospital?"

"Yes mam," she said.

"But you have nothing in written from the hospital!" Dr. Manasvi said," no letter of experience, no certificates of appreciation.......Is it possible that you can get them now by any chance?"

Akshu nodded her head in a no.

Dr. Manasvi sighed and said," Then I am sorry Ms. Akshara. But I am afraid I cant give you the job. We are one of the best schools in India. And the school policy forbids me from hiring teachers with no experience. I really am truly sorry."

Akshara's heart sank. She had travelled all the way to Kasauli in the hope of a new life for her and her baby. But that had been crushed too!

"Thank you for your time mam," she said putting her certificates back into her bag. She recalled the days Manjiri had stopped her from going to concerts and pursuing her career.

"Why was I so dumb!" she said to herself as she got up," Naira maa never ever left her dancing even when badi dadi was against it. Seerat maa fought against all odds for her boxing career. And I.....what did I do? I threw away every chance I got, every golden opportunity I had...........How stupid I have been!!"

Just as she was about to leave, a man walked in yelling angrily at Dr. Manasvi.

"I am not going to stand this anymore!" he yelled.

"Please calm down Mr. Maheshwari,"Dr. Manasvi said walking upto him," I understand your concerns............ "

"You do not understand anything! It has been two years and your music teacher has taught my daughters nothing in terms of music. All they have learnt is rapping and creating absolute nonsense!"

"But Durga and Charu love to write and sing rap songs," Dr. Manasvi argued.

"Whats in it to like?" Mr. Maheshwari said," Creating nonsense in slang language? Insulting your fellow classmates in the name of rap battles? My daughters are brilliant in sports and academics. I am taking them out of this school. I dont want them learning any nonsense in the name of music."

Dr. Manasvi fell silent. She was well aware that Mr. Maheshwari was a very well reputed journalist in the local newspaper. Pissing him off meant inviting bad press for the school.

"I agree Sir," she said looking at Akshara who was still standing at the door ready to leave once this commotion was over.

"You have absolutely nothing to worry about," Dr. Manasvi said," our old music teacher has left. And this is our new music teacher Ms. Akshara. She is from Udaipur and very well versed in classical music and.........."

"Really?" said Mr. Maheshwari turning to look at Akshara," let me see for myself then."

"Madam," he said to Akshara politely,"I wish to hear you recite the rudraashtakam."

Akshara nodded and drank some water. She then began to sing-

"Adbhut!" said Mr. Maheshwari once she had finished singing," I believe that I can give this school another chance."

Saying so, he left.

"Ms. Akshara," said Dr. Manasvi," Thank you so much! Had you not been here............I really think that I can make some ammendments in the school policy and give you this job."

"Really?" said Akshu happily.

"Yes," Dr. Manasvi said," And I will get your apartment ready. The school policy says that all teachers must reside in the school campus itself."

"Thank you......" said Akshu unable to believe the sudden change in events,"thank you so much!"