Chap 21- Darmiyan

Abhimanyu took a shower and walked out of his washroom wearing his bathrobe. He sat down on the couch and wiped his wet hair with a towel. The intercom in his room rang.

"A very good evening sir," the receptionist spoke from the other end of the line," would you be coming down for dinner sir or shall we bring it up to your room?"

"I will be there in another ten minutes," he replied and put the phone down.

Akshara was collecting the laundry from the guests. Pushing her housekeeping trolley ahead, she knocked at the door of Abhimanyu's room. Abhimanyu was dressed in a blue blazer with a sky blue shirt and cream pants. He went and opened the door of his room.

Akshara was standing there with her back towards him. She was wearing her utility gloves and arranging the dirty laundry jackets in the laundry baskets. Looking at the laundry baskets, Abhimanyu went inside without saying a word and brought his shirt, pant and pullover which he wanted to send for laundry. He came up behind her and said," this sweater is hand-knitted. My mother made it for me. Please make sure that I get it back in good condition."

Akshara froze at her place on hearing his voice. Without saying a word and without turning around, she took the clothes from him and walked away. Walking as fast as she could, she finally arrived at a place far away from him. Breathing a sigh of relief, she removed her gloves.

"Abhimanyu yahan kya kar raha hai," she said," mujhe bohot sambhalke rehna hoga. Uske saamne nahi aana chahti main."

Meanwhile Abhinav and Abhir were busy making cupcakes in the cottage kitchen.

"Papa," said Abhir tasting one cupcake,"ye strawberry flavour toh super hai. Mumma ka bhi favourite hai."

"Aap bas dekhte jaiye Nikke ji. I will bake all flavours of cupcakes and surprise your mumma!"

Akshara had finished her shift and was removing her apron at the staff counter.  She was still pretty anxious about her close encounter with Abhimanyu.

"Pata nahi Abhinav ji aur Abhir ne kuch khaya bhi hoga yaa nahi," she thought,"ghar pohunchke phataphat unke liye kuch bana deti hoon."

She changed her uniform and wore her plain embroidered clothes. Wrapping her shawl over her shoulders she walked out.

"Everything is ready Nikke ji," Abhinav was saying when Akshara entered their room.

She saw that there was a large mat spread out on the floor with caseroles and glasses placed in the centre. She could smell pizza and baked cupcakes.

"Mumma," said Abhir," papa and I baked pizza and cupcakes for you! You must be so hungry."

Akshara smiled and said," thank you Abhinav ji."

"Lets sit down and eat then," Abhinav said serving Akshara a freshly cut pizza slice with hot chocolate.

Akshara sat down and sipped her hot chocolate. It reminded her of her old days at home when she and Arohi would drink hot chocolate with nutella cookies.

She picked up the pizza slice and offered it to Abhinav to eat. Abhinav ate the pizza from her hands. He then made her eat the cupcakes as well.

"Aap dono ek doosre ko hi khilate rahoge yaa mujhe bhi koi khilayega?" said Abhir.

Akshara and Abhinav smiled. Abhinav then made him eat the pizza and cupcakes.

THE NEXT MORNING

Akshara was looking at her wedding pictures with Abhimanyu. Their love, their fights, their happines..........One by one, she began deleting every picture.

"Pyaar kiya tha tumse Abhi. Socha tha saath rahenge, saath nibhaenge, lekin tumne toh.........Aur dekho, aaj tumhari Akshu kisi aur ki dulhan banne jaa rahi hai." She turned around and saw Abhinav getting ready to leave.

"Abhinav ji," she said walking upto him,"mera sindoor khatam ho gaya hai. Aap le ayenge please."

Abhinav nodded and put some money into his wallet. Akshara noticed a small picture of her and Abhir in his wallet.

She smiled and said," Naashta karein saath mein?"

Abhinav nodded. Akshara went into the kitchen and brought plates and mugs. She served him poha with chutney and poured tea as well.

"Aapki plate kahan hai Akshara ji?"

Akshara smiled sipping her tea as she sat down right next to him.

"Kyun," she said," main aapki plate se nahi khaa sakti?"

"Haan bilkul," he said picking up some poha in his spoon," ye leejiye."

Akshara ate from his hand and said,"teekha zyada ho gaya hai."

"Toh kya hua," Abhinav said," wo aapka apple jam hai naa, wo lekar aata hoon."

He instantly got up and went into the kitchen.

"Apple jam?" said Akshara horrified at the thought of having apple jam with poha.

"Its such a weird combination Abhinav ji," she said.

"Rukiye toh sahi Akshara ji," he said applying her homemade apple jam over a slice of bread.

"I hope you are not going to put poha over that bread," she said in a worried voice.

Abhinav smiled and sat down next to her. He made her eat the bread and jam.

"Its too sweet," she said and ate some poha.

Abhinav laughed at her changed expression.

"Extra meethe ke baad teekha khaane ka maza hi kuch aur hai," he said. Akshara giggled and made him eat as well.