Chapter Nineteen

I walk back to my cave, still awe-stuck I saw Evan there. It's only noon, right now. I left for the town in the morning, and only stayed there for about a half hour or so. I walk through the forest, and I gaze up at the leaves. They flicker from the sunlight and cast down spotted shadows on the forest floor. Birds fly and sing, and the rustle of woodland animals calm my ears. The forest undergrowth gently brushes the sides of my ankles, and the soil is soft beneath my feet. I love the woods more than any other climate, by far.

    I stop at the clearing, where my cave is. I bend down and lift open the door. I already have my day planned out in my head.

   I am hot, so I take off my pants and put on shorts, and a tank top. I make a sandwich, too. Bread from the bakery, meat in the middle, and some parsley. It's not the best looking sandwich ever, and it might not taste the best, but I'll have to do for my lunch today. After I pack that away, I start on something else.  A fishing rod. I have had one before, but my family took it away with them. I didn't even think of saving it here until now. But a strong stick, and a sturdy, thin rope will have to do. I have a hood, though. I found it while walking home from the town today. It was pure luck. That's why I planned this day of fishing at the lake.

   I take a stick from my woodpile, and a string from my box. I study at the rod, concentrating hard to make it correctly. My fingers loop this, tie that, until I finally get the string attached to the tip of the rod. It's tied around, secure even if you tug really hard. I begin on the hook, which takes me less than five minutes.

   Soon, I have a perfect-- almost perfect, anyways-- fishing rod. I hold it up proudly. It's my first one I tried to make, and I hope that it actually stays together while I fish. I loop the string together, so it won't tangle up, or get caught on something. Then, I pack up my food and the rod at my side. I also get a hat, so the sun stays out of my eyes. Before I crawl out, I remember my knife, and I snap it shut. I shove it in my left pocket.

   I crawl out of my cave, and start to walk. I freeze before I can step out into the open, and turn around. I've forgotten something important: the bait. I sigh, and put my things down. Preparing for fishing takes more time than actual fishing, it seems.

   I take a thick stick from the ground and start digging. I pick the grass where it's the greenest. I dig and dig, until something moving catches my attention.

   I lunge my fingers forward, and drag the worm out of the ground. "Got'cha." I say, and put it in my hands. I pick up my rod and sandwich, put my hat on my head, and the worm in my hands. I start for the lake. Finally! I can fish.

   I chose a spot where the grass and land rise just above the water, kind of like a little dock. If I hung my feet down, they would be half-submerged in the water. I sit down and put my bait on the old hook. That takes some time, but I manage to get him onto the hook. I carefully stand to my feet, and take my rod in my hand. I rest the string behind me, and the rod over my shoulder. Then with one toss, I throw the rod forward, but clutching it tight in my hand. The string is very long, and reaches about twenty feet across the lake from where I sit.

   I sit down on the grass, and put the end of the rod between my thighs. I wipe off my hands, and reach for my sandwich. I take it in my hands, the paper wrapping between the bread and my fingers, so I don't get it dirty. I take a huge bite, and sigh. Delicious. I eat and eat the marvelous sandwich until nothing's left. 

   I sit and wait for another hour. My thoughts drift off from here to there, and I watch the fox across the lake hunt. 

   I start to think about Evan. Surely, it was too much of a coincidence for me to meet him here. I thought I am the only one that wanted freedom. And what did Evan want freedom from, anyhow? I can't stop thinking that he followed me. He knew what I was going to do before the town people even moved away. It's too suspicious, for Evan. What about Cleo? She would've stayed, too, but I told her to stay with her family. I never told Evan to stay with his, but would he listen if I did? Hardly. It's like....