Chapter 8

Garret watched all of the Generals and Commanders disappear out of his tent and the guard outside closed the flap shut, leaving just Garret and Alric.

"So, you think this plan will actually work?" Alric asked, sitting down heavily in the chair across from Garret's desk.

"I'm hoping it will. I don't see why it won't. The biggest issue will be getting our ammunition over the walls, but the Wind Manipulators should be able to push it up if our catapults don't do the job. I just wish we could do it tonight."

"Me too, but it's good that we are waiting. Everyone's exhausted from the marching. As long as the Cealtans don't use that to their advantage tonight, then we should be just fine. We do need the break, Garret." Alric said softly.

Garret looked up at his friend and could see the exhaustion on his face and in how his shoulders sagged slightly. He probably was just as bad himself. Alric was right, his army wouldn't do any good if it was exhausted. They deserved a night to themselves to rest, drink, gamble, or do whatever it was that they wanted to do.

"You get some rest, Garret, I'll give everyone the brief rundown and lay down the rules for you," Alric said, softly, reaching to ruffle Garret's hair.

Garret caught the man's hand and shoved it away, but smiled his thanks. "Get outta my tent, I've got paperwork to do," Garret said with a smirk, clapping Alric on the shoulder in farewell.

He followed Alric outside of his tent and looked out at the camp the soldiers had put up. The sun had fully set now and various fires were blazing. Echoes of laughter carried across the open space as the soldiers mingled.

They should be sleeping and preparing for tomorrow, not drinking and partying. If General Argado saw this... Garret thought worriedly, taking a couple of steps forward before an arm reached out to stop him.

"I'll handle it, Garret. You rest." Alric said, surprising Garret. He forgot that the Lieutenant was still beside him.

Garret gave Alric a skeptical look but shrugged and turned to duck back into his tent. If he didn't have to deal with anyone else tonight, he would be very fine with that.

—--

A few hours and a very fitful sleep later, Garret was hauling himself out of bed and into his battle armour. The rest of the camp was still dead quiet, the sun hadn't even come up yet, but Garret wanted to do some final preparations before going into battle. He always took a few moments to himself to sharpen his swords and get comfortable in his armour.

"Garret? You up?" A voice softly asked outside of his tent.

This was Garret's alone time. The last thing he wanted was to be bugged, but with a grunt, he stood up and opened his tent flap to see his sister.

"What's up, Anika?" He asked, instantly noticing that something was wrong.

"I'm just a little nervous I guess, I've never been in a battle this big. And you're fighting front lines, what if... what if something happens to you?" She blurted, quickly wiping her eyes with the back of her hand.

Garret sighed and opened the flap more so she could come into his tent and sit down.

"Here, have some tea." He grunted, handing her the cup that he had been steeping for himself. He always drank a cup before going into battle and he was a bit ashamed to admit it, but it always helped calm him down and get 'in the zone'.

"Thanks." She murmured, sitting down on the edge of Garret's freshly made cot, and grabbing the blankets to wrap herself in.

Oh come on, I just made that! How am I going to have time to remake it now, I have a meeting in ten minutes!