Chapter 31: Welcome to The Phantom Thieves of Hearts

Int. Niijima Residence – Moments Later

Makoto is now back inside of her room and notices that her sister is no longer at the doorway. Makoto's head starts to ache and she holds it. Memories of Akira being nice to her start to play in her mind and it makes her smile to herself. Makoto speaks to herself.

Makoto Niijima: He's wrong...Akira cares about me...him and sis are the only ones, who do. I'll keep both of them safe.

Sae returns to Makoto with some medicine for her.

Sae Niijima: Here; this should help you sleep a little more soundly.

Sae hands Makoto the medicine and a small glass of water. Makoto takes the pills and washes it down with the water.

Sae Niijima: Feeling any better?

Makoto Niijima: I...think so. Sorry, sis.

Sae Niijima: Hey, don't apologize. None of this is your fault. It...must be a side effect of the car accident. You were getting so much better there for a while, though.

Sae rests her hand on Makoto's forehead.

Sae Niijima: No fever. That's good. Try to get some rest...you probably need it for exams this week, right?

Makoto Niijima: Alright, sis; I'll try.

Makoto lays back down on her bed and closes her eyes. Sae leaves the room and leaves the door cracked open. Sae stands outside of Makoto's doorway to make sure she falls asleep okay. Sae speaks to herself.

Sae Niijima: I thought the night terrors were gone...will the poor girl ever go back to normal? Fucking dad...

Sae's phone starts vibrating in her pocket. She answers the call.

Sae Niijima: Yeah?

What Sae hears on the other line, causes her to panic.

Sae Niijima: What the hell do you mean he's missing? How could you lose a mob boss? He's...not in his cell? What the fuck?

Meanwhile, inside of Makoto's room, Makoto can overhear Sae's conversation. Makoto speaks, quietly.

Makoto Niijima: I'm sorry, sis. I'll...do better, from now on.

Makoto tries her best to ignore her sister's conversation on the phone and attempts to go back to sleep.

Int. Akechi's Apartment – Later

Akechi is sitting on the edge of his bed, staring at the floor. He has the envelope that the nurse gave him in his hands. Akechi, finally, tears open the envelope and takes out the letter to read it. He imagines Hikari's voice reading the note to him.

Hikari Sasaki (Voice Over): Dear Akechi, if you're getting this note, that means that I must be gone. I know you're sad right now but don't be. I've known for a while that my time here was limited. To be honest, at first, I was scared of dying but then, I realized how much I missed my parents and how badly I wanted to see them, again. I really hope that while you're reading this note, I'm back with them, again, in heaven, watching over you. I just wanted to say thank you so much, Akechi. You were the only one, who was there for me during these last couple of months. You made the little time that I had left, worth something. I really hope that you keep being a detective and keep stopping bad guys; maybe, one day, you'll get to meet the "Phantom Thieves" too. That would be pretty awesome. You may not have super powers or anything like that but you'll always be my hero, Akechi. Thank you so much for being my friend. From, Hikari.