Chapter 2- Malik brothers.

Arzika Private Hospital.

Khayra.

     The beeping of the machines was the only sound in the operation room that could be heard without straining one's ears. A team of surgeons around an operation table, and a patient who has entrusted his life into the hands of our team. We would give our one and all not to disappoint him.
   The surgery instruments were lying on a pan, ready to be utilized. Vitality checker machines were set into motion. Everything was in the place. The anesthesiologist had already done his job. It was up to us now. A team of five surgeons and an intern that was me, all attired properly for the work ahead of us.
   It was a case of enlarged spleen, and we had to take him through the procedure of splenectomy successfully. Dr. Khalid, the head surgeon in our team had already briefed us through what needed to be done. Not that weren't familiar with the procedure, but the doctor seemed to like doing that for clarification and the interns learning under him.
     Hopefully, there would be no hitches.

  " Scalpel." He demanded, his voice sounding muffled due to the nose mask stretched across his face.
   From the pan, I picked up a sterilized scalpel and handed it to him. He nodded in appreciation. Once again I prayed that this man wouldn't point at a random vein during the procedure and ask me to name it. The pressure alone was frightening.
   He placed the tip of his scalpel at the left side of the patient's belly, just below the ribs where he was to make an incision.
   He raised his gaze to glance at us to see if we were concentrating. No one wanted to anger Dr. Khalid. He set his eyes back to the patient, his right hand that held the scalpel never moving from its set position.

   "Bismillah," he uttered lightly before sinking the scalpel into the patient's skin.

    *~*

     I checked the watch on my wrist as I strode through the corridors towards the children's department. I was too late, but something told me I would meet the person I was going there for. The surgery had stretched for several minutes longer than I had deciphered.
  I could hear someone calling me as I made a last turn to Ward 05, but I chose not to mind.
   The corridors were lined with people, and I was sure that almost all of them had an acquaintance in any of the wards.
   I brushed by a group of doctors and I didn't bother to halt to talk with them.
   I slid through the double doors of Ward 05, and let my eyes scan the room for the person I was looking for. The creases on my forehead instantly disappeared as I set my eyes on a little girl. Slowly, my lips slanted upwards to form a smile.
   The pediatric nurse whose desk was the first thing to the right you see when you enter the ward, turned in her seat to face me.
   " Khayra," She beamed. " You are here again." It was more of an accusation.
    I slid my hands into the pockets of my overcoat and shot her a grin. I wasn't supposed to be there.
   " I know you don't have a patient here." She reminded me for the umpteenth time.

  Before I could open my mouth to talk, she continued. " Don't use that 'I'm a doctor' card on me."

   She must be familiar with it by now. 

   " Just last one, abeg."

   She chuckled lightly, urging me to proceed. I made my way deeper into the space. Already, the children seemed happy to see me. I don't care what anyone says, but children are godsent angels.
   Not until they start wailing like World War III is just around the corner.
    One would think that my second office was the children's department, but it really couldn't be helped, considering the number of times I've been there. On days when I have night shifts, I come around to check on them. And sometimes too, after I check out. It was always a beautiful experience to be in their midst. Their innocence was admirable. Although I try not to prod on it, a part of me wanted to go back to being a child.
   One of them was to be discharged today, and I wanted to say goodbye to the little girl. She was supposed to leave by eleven, but I guess there were some hitches with the discharge process.

    "Hey, baby girl," I waved at the little girl and sat at the edge of her bed. I opened my palms for a high-five, and the girl got the cue.
    I waved at the other children, and they reciprocated the gesture eagerly. Believe it or not, I'm a celebrity whenever I enter this ward.

   " I'm going today, I don't want to leave you." the little girl didn't sound so elated.