Chapter 4- Past flaws

Arzika Private Hospital
                                                       Khayra

     Some days were lonesome, and it was okay. For someone in my situation, I should be used to it by now. Away from every single trace of social life when I'm in the confines of my house, alone. By now, the child in me wasn't afraid of monsters hiding in the closet. Truth is, the monster is within me. People say looks can be deceitful, and I agree. Hundred percent.
   I lay in bed with a heavy quilt covered up to my torso and I watched absentmindedly, waiting for my mother to pick up the phone. That would be the umpteenth try in the day. Layla Yahya Shamaki won't pick up. That was a sure deal. However, that did nothing to waver my undying hope that one day, she would. It was a miracle that she hadn't blacklisted my contact.
   The catastrophe that had led to this was all my fault. Blinded by what I thought was love, I went against my family. Whatever I'm going through was my fault, and I am paying dearly for it. My family–– well, most of them don't wish to see my face, and it hurts  so bad. Not that I wasn't doing anything to correct my mistakes. I try every single day, and at the end of every single day, my patience wanes away.
   I let out an exasperated sigh when she didn't pick up. Shedding tears would be of no use. No one will see them. The façade was hard to put up.
   Picking up my phone that lay right beside my face, I dialed my brother's contact. There was a chance that he wouldn't pick up too. He was always busy, and our last conversation didn't end well.
    I was right. He didn't pick up, and I gave up.
   I placed my phone on the nightstand. The next step was to adjust the quilt to warm up my body properly, hoping to get pulled into slumber soon. The rhythmic pattern of the raindrops was just what I needed. I deserved that many hours of sleep to compensate for my early morning shift.

    Just when my eyelids were starting to grow heavy, the ringing of my phone startled me. I craned my neck to read the caller ID. It was Sayida. The banging on my main gate told me she was at my premises. She was probably being bathed by the rain.

    Throwing the quilt off my body, I got out of bed, sliding my feet into the slippers at the foot of my bed. Having known my bedroom like the back of my hand, I was able to navigate my way out without switching on the lights.

   I dashed through the sizeable hallway, and the the living room, before reaching for the door that led to the porch of the two-bedroom bungalow. I grabbed an umbrella at the door before opening the door to step out. The house was fenced by brick walls with a sliding gate securing the entrance, and she was right behind the gates.

    After sliding the gates open, I met with Sayida who was shivering under her umbrella. She held a black polythene bag in hand.

   " Come in," I urged, making a gesture with one hand while the other held the umbrella firmly in place.
    She didn't need to be asked twice. She walked into the house, leaving me to lock the gates. I did so and went into the house, leaving our umbrellas on the porch.

    In the living room, Sayida was curled up on the sofa that faced the television. The bag she brought with her was on the coffee table beside a two-seater sofa. I watched as she untied the scarf that was tied around her head as a turban. She placed it beside her, letting her beaded braids fall down to her shoulders. Her hoodie followed, leaving her with a tank top and a pair of cargo pants.

    " Don't tell me you were sleeping," she mused, letting her eyes rake over my body that was clad in a long silk nightgown.

   " Whatever," I shrugged and plopped myself on the sofa beside her. " What did you bring?" I reached for the bag she brought along and fished out three packs of Indomie noodles. My eyes widened at the eyes. I turned to her, a smile slowly stretching my face.
   " Let's cook it," she suggested, and I couldn't agree less. This time, no one of us made mention of our diet.
     She took them from my hand and strolled to the kitchen, just at the right wing of the living room. One could trust Sayida to whip up something mouthwatering with those packs of noodles.
   " Hurry up!" I yelled on top of my lungs, so she could hear me. " I'm hungry! I have eggs, sausages and vegetables too!"