Chapter Six

The Real me

    Let’s talk about my accent. I have been to a few doctors that have told me that I might go back to my same old voice. There is one doctor that has told me that its all in my head. I made it all up. Well if that’s true then I am one heck of an actress for keeping the “ accent “ for well over a year and I want an Emmy for being able to pull this accent off for over a year.

   I often put what I call a “filter “ when I am at my day job so others can understand me. And the reason for that is because where I work at this moment is a doctor’s office and most of the patients can’t hear that well.       

There is something else that is still bothering me today. Work place bullying . I know it does exist  and I have been very lucky in the past working at places that never stood for it. I had an ex-boss that made me feel like utter garbage by telling me to “never talk”. She made fun of me anytime I would talk .I heard so many cracks about “Irish this or St Paddy’s day.” At one time she wanted me to say, “ Top of the morning to ya.”

  At that time, I was with a staffing agency. I called them up and explained everything that had happened. They were floored. I knew there wasn’t much to say but they had asked me to stay there for one more week and they would try and find me something else to do.  I never thought I would be bullied at work. I mean it was so high school.