CHAPTER 9

"Happy Birthday Princess."

As Reena turned around, she saw her father standing there with tears in his eyes.

"How is my princess doing?" he asked, his voice trembling with emotion.

Reena was too stunned to answer, but before she knew it, she was running towards him, wrapping her arms around him in a tight embrace.

Rajendra held her just as tightly, and they both sobbed uncontrollably.

"I missed you appa," Reena finally managed to say. "Me too, my child," he replied.

In that moment, as she held her father close, all of her fears melted away. They stayed in each other's embrace for what felt like an eternity, finally reunited after so many years apart.

Reena had lost her mother when she was just eight years old, and she had always wondered if her parents had truly loved each other. But one thing she knew for sure was that they both loved her (Reena) deeply.

Even though their marriage had been a business deal, just like hers with Kamal, Reena was certain that her father had cared deeply for her mother.

Love was a foreign concept in the gangster world she had been born into. Reena had to put up a tough exterior, afraid of letting anyone get too close.

"How come you're here in KGF?" Reena asked her father, finally breaking their warm embrace.

"I came to see you, my dear," Rajendra replied with a smile.

"Did Rocky........?" Reena asked, her mind racing.

Rajendra simply nodded. "That man, I swear," Reena thought to herself.

"Anyways, how are you, reena? Are you doing okay? Did that bastard cause you any trouble?" Rajendra scanned his daughter, making sure she was alright.

"No, Appa, I'm fine," Reena replied, chuckling slightly.

"Good, then let's not waste any more time. We should get dressed," Rajendra said, changing the subject.

"Dressed? Where are we going?" Reena asked, confused.

"Nowhere in particular. I just wanted to see my beautiful daughter in her mother's favorite dress," Rajendra said, beaming with pride. "What?" Reena was shocked.

"I heard you've been wearing traditional clothes lately, and I've never seen you in one. You used to hate them, remember? Everything happened so fast, I didn't know what to get you as a gift."

****

"Do you love him?" Rajendra asked, his eyes fixed on his daughter's face.

They had spent the entire day reminiscing about old times, sharing meals, and enjoying each other's company after a long time apart. They were now sitting by the fountain, enjoying the cool evening breeze.

Reena looked down, her heart racing. She knew the answer, but she couldn't bring herself to say it out loud. Rajendra, however, was not one to be deterred.

"Why?" he probed gently.

"I don't know," Reena replied. "I guess daughters of beardos are also weirdos."

Rajendra chuckled. "That may be true, but it doesn't answer my question. Why do you love him?"

Reena sighed. "I'm not sure about anything right now. I don't know where to take this relationship from here," she admitted.

Rajendra looked at her with concern. "I may not know much about love and all that nonsense, but I do know one thing - you are safer here in kgf than out there in the world."

Reena looked at him, puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"I can already sense that there are evil schemes cooking," Rajendra said gravely. "And I don't want you to get caught up in them."

Reena felt a sudden surge of fear. "Why can't you stay here with me?" she asked, her voice trembling.

"I can't, Reena," Rajendra replied, his tone cold and distant. "I can't leave everything behind and come here. Besides, that bastard Rocky is still my enemy."

Reena felt a lump form in her throat. She knew that her father was right, but it didn't make it any easier to accept. She looked down at her hands, feeling lost and alone.

Suddenly, the sound of a helicopter pierced through the air, sending shivers down their spines.

They both knew who it was.

Vanaram strode into the garden where Rajendra and Reena were sitting, his face grim. "Time to leave," he said.

Reena's heart sank as she hugged her father tightly, trying to hold back her tears.

"See you again, princess," Rajendra whispered, his eyes brimming with emotion.

As they stepped out into the open, the helicopter stood waiting for them, its blades whirring ominously.

And there he was - Rocky, grinning from ear to ear.

"Hey, father-in-law!" he exclaimed, his enthusiasm grating on Rajendra's nerves.

Ignoring rocky he turned to face Vanaram"Take care of my daughter," Rajendra ordered. 

Vanaram simply nodded in response, his eyes conveying a sense of determination and responsibility.

With a final glance towards his daughter, Rajendra climbed into the helicopter, and Reena smiled bravely, trying to hold back her tears as she watched her father leave.

Little did she know that this would be the last time she would ever see her father again.

================================

Man, writing this chapter was tough.

My heart was heavy for poor Reena. (⁠╥⁠﹏⁠╥⁠)

Keep leaving your awesome comments! It really motivates me!