PROLOGUE

Zalena Carter was a very nonchalant 18-year-old

Zalena Carter was a very nonchalant 18-year-old. Like any other teenager, she was dying to go to college. No parents, No boring classes from 7-3, and most importantly freedom.

Don't get her wrong, she loved her parents dearly. They were very chill and not as strict as most parents were, but with that came their constant wanting to be a part of her social life and their incessant need to be informed about her love life. She understood they were her parents and that's just what they do but she was 18 and a bit overwhelmed.

She was currently lying upside down on the couch next to her mother Maeve who was reading a magazine and listening to her daughter rant. "I just don't understand. He's like so confusing and hard to read. One minute he's leaning in to kiss me and the next he's out on a date with his 'girlfriend'."

Maeve laughed softly at her daughter. Zalena reminded her so much of herself once before she was in this same position ranting to her older sister Tatum about her feelings for Jordan.

"This girlfriend, have you met her before?" Maeve asked stroking her daughter's face. "Yeah," Zalena huffed. "And what's she like." Zalena made eye contact with her mother laughing.

"I hope you don't expect me to go on some rant about how nice and perfect she is because I'm not. That girl is a bitch. She hates my guts." Maeve laughed rubbing Zalenas shoulders.

"That boy is in love with you Lena. Trust me, he's like a love-sick meathead. You just have to give him time to come to his senses. If he's dating the girl let him figure out that something's missing on his own. Don't pressure him."

Zalena sighed playing with her fingers. "I hate it when you're right." Maeve laughed softly kissing her cheek. "You sound just like your father." Jordan, Zalena's dad, also Maeve's husband of twenty years came into the living room.

"What was that about me?" The family of three spent the rest of their night watching movies and messing up the Kitchen. Which Maeve soon had to clean up.

 Which Maeve soon had to clean up