𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

𝙒𝙃𝙀𝙍𝙀 𝙄𝙏 𝘼𝙇𝙇 𝘽𝙀𝙂𝘼𝙉...

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐎𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐀 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋. In fact, the majority of her freshman year consisted of her being alone in her dorm room. Her roommate was her polar opposite, yet the two of them managed to surprisingly get along, despite the fact that the two of them were on two entirely different wavelengths. While Sam spent her Friday nights out partying, Margot spent them in her room working away on her computer, just trying to stay afloat. She refused to fall behind in her studies and risk having her father be right about her. He told her that pursuing a degree in fashion merchandising was a mistake, that she should have gone for something more practical. 

But Margot didn't want to be practical. She spent her entire life trying to be safe, trying to be the girl her father wanted her to be. After her mother died, Margot felt this need to be the perfect daughter, doing everything she could to make him happy. He didn't need another burden in his life. But somewhere along the way, Margot came to learn that she couldn't sacrifice her own happiness just to appease him. She needed to take a stand and finally do something for herself, rather than constantly trying to please him.

"Come on, girl. It's about time you had some fun," Sam pleaded, already in her clothes, all ready to go out to tonight's party. "Midterms are over, and you deserve a break, too. It'll be fun." She clasped her hands together, trying desperately to convince Margot to go to yet another party. The same way she tried every weekend, only to get the exact same answer from Margot in return. "I don't know," Margot admitted. She'd never been to a party in her life, but she knew the kinds of things that happened there if you weren't careful. And truth be told, frat parties weren't exactly her scene. 

Even if it was a frat party that introduced her to the girl who'd changed her life. But that was a story for another time. 

"Oh, come on, Margot! No one comes to college to sit in their dorms and study all night," she told her with a grin. 

"I don't think that's entirely true-" Margot didn't come to college to waste away her nights partying. She came here to get her degree and to make a name for herself. And to do that, she needed to work hard. She couldn't afford to give herself a break.

"Look, I'll make a deal with you," Sam relented, crossing her arms over her chest. "If you come with me tonight, and you genuinely have an awful time, I won't bother you again. I'll leave you alone and let you study your little heart out, but only if you give it a chance. Who knows, you might actually have fun? Or even better, you could meet a handsome stranger," she winked, and Margot scrunched her nose up. 

Meeting someone was the absolute last thing on her mind. The guys she'd gone out with in the past had been mediocre, and she refused to settle for someone who would fail to challenge her. Besides, she didn't think she'd find a guy who was boyfriend material at a frat party of all places. Those guys were only looking for one thing, and Margot had some standards. 

"If I say yes, you'll really leave me alone?" She sighed, and Sam's face lit up the second she realized she had finally gotten Margot to cave. "Cross my heart," Sam swore, and the second Margot's shoulders slumped, she excitedly cheered. She ran across their shared dorm room and wrapped her arms tightly around the girl, and Margot's lips turned up into a small smile. "Tonight, my little caterpillar, is the night we turn you into a butterfly," Sam told her, and the way she said it made it sound like a promise. "Now, let's pick out a smoking outfit for you."

"I don't know if I have anything deemed worthy enough for a party," Margot told her truthfully. She hadn't come to college with any sort of fancy clothing, since she hadn't anticipated she'd be going anywhere, but she was proven wrong. After all, wasn't college supposed to be the time in your life when you took risks? Stepped outside of your comfort zone?