𝐎𝐍𝐄

𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐌𝐎𝐒𝐓 𝐏𝐈𝐍𝐏𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐗𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌. She felt a tingle in her spine, and it felt as though the temperature in the room had dropped substantially. In the middle of a phone call, Margot could already guess that Nathanial was behind her without even having to turn around. His timing was absolutely impeccable, she would give him that, because he chose the worst time to impede on her life. 

"Margot? You still there?" Tom questioned, noticing Margot's extended silence as she watched Nathanial Clairmont walk into the office like he owned the place. He grabbed the attention of every single person he passed, and it was exactly like the very first night she ever saw him. Charm, charisma, and the complete embodiment of confidence. "Hello?"

"S-Sorry, I'm here," she sputtered, narrowing her eyes into slits as he grew closer. The second their eyes met, his flirtatious smile dropped entirely, and he looked completely annoyed to see her. It was the same thing all the time. It was as though he wasn't expecting to run into her, which would have been a stupid assumption on his behalf because she was glued to Celia's side like ninety percent of the time. "You mentioned something about dinner?" She repeated. After Nathanial had entered, Margot was ashamed to admit that she had only been half-listening to him. 

She wasn't expecting anything exciting to come out of the date. Well, nothing other than a free dinner and possibly a mediocre lay if he happened to be decent company. Tom was introduced to her by a mutual friend of theirs who was desperate to pawn Margot off, despite the fact that she had no interest at all. But she had been convinced to give him a chance. Besides, he was surprisingly a nice guy, and she'd learned as much after they met up for drinks last weekend. He was everything that Margot should have wanted in a man. He had a stable job, he was respectable, and he was actually sweet. 

But the best part was that Tom was safe. He was the sensible option, and Margot supposed if she ever had to choose, that he wouldn't be the worst person in the world to settle down with. Even if she didn't feel a single spark between them that night they went for drinks at the bar. 

"I was hoping to see you tonight. Is that okay with you?" He asked, and Margot should have been swooning over him right now. He had called without her even having to question if he would. He had been nothing but respectful on the first date, and did everything that a gentleman should. So why wasn't she feeling it? 

"Tonight sounds good," she replied, twirling the phone cord around her finger. A shadow of a figure loomed over her desk, and she glanced up to see Nathanial there, and she rolled her eyes without so much as thinking. "I've gotta go now, Tom. Text me the details and I'll see you tonight." She hung up just in time to hear him say some kind of goodbye, and then she looked up at Nate, extremely unamused. 

"Quick question," he asked, bracing his hands on her desk and leaning over as if he wanted to tower over her even more than he already has. "Does my cousin pay you to take personal phone calls at work?"

"Does someone pay you to be an asshole or were you just born that way?" Margot retorted. God, if anyone else had made that comment, Margot might have been able to let it slide. But Nathanial Clairmont had his own way of getting under her skin like no one else did. She couldn't just force a smile and pretend like it didn't bother her, because she had this incessant need to fight him on every single thing. 

"Oh, how I love it when you sing my praises," he sighed, cracking a teasing grin at her. "I hope you're nicer to the poor sucker taking you for dinner tonight." He paused, glancing at Margot, and she knew it was a mistake talking on the phone in front of him. Now he had yet another thing to taunt her about. God, she wanted to reach over that desk and grab his stupid smug face and just slap the shit out of him. Or kiss him. Or both. "Or is he into the whole ice queen thing you've got going on?"