𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐎𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐈𝐍 𝐀 𝐁𝐈𝐍𝐃. It was so obvious to her that Nathanial was not in a great state right now, since she'd been the one to practically drag him out of Celia's hospital room once the visiting hours were over. The nurses had tried to no avail, but for reasons unknown to her, Margot was the only person that somehow managed to get through to him. He hadn't said a word to her, which was unusual for him, and she found herself wishing that he would just say something, anything at all. It was strange, considering that she spent most of her time wishing that he would just shut his mouth, but now she found herself just wanting to hear his voice- to know if he was okay.

"She's going to be fine," Margot assured him, her grip tightening on the steering wheel. She was trying her best to remain calm and believe the words herself, but all she could do was picture her friend bloody on the floor, white as a sheet. For a moment, Margot had thought she was dead. Celia was basically her only friend in the entire world, and she'd thought she'd lost her. "I know she will," he replied quietly. It was such a contrast to the confident tone he usually put on in front of her. She knew how much Celia meant to him, so this couldn't have been easy for him. It most certainly wasn't easy for her.

She'd been questioned this morning, and tensions were high at the office, especially with all of the interns freaking out after witnessing what they did. She'd had to console a frantic Gen this morning, and was on the receiving end of Rebecca's incessant questions, asking who Margot thought could have done such a thing.

"Nathanial, I'm going to ask you a question, and I need you to be one-hundred percent honest with me. Okay?" He glanced over with a perplexed expression and nodded his head, prompting her to continue. She sighed, hoping that she wouldn't offend him in any way, but she knew that Celia would want her to look out for him. "If I take you home right now, are you going to do something you'll regret?" They both knew what she was referring to. Margot didn't know the extent of Nathanial's past, but she knew he'd had a stint in rehab, and a minor alcohol problem in his younger years. His shoulders tensed, like that was the last possible thing he'd expected her to ask him. He pondered the question for a moment, opened his mouth, but no words came out.

That was all the answer she needed.

"Alright," she said, mostly to herself. "You're coming home with me." She wasn't going to let him stay by himself, because he couldn't be trusted to be alone right now. He didn't object, which told Margot everything she needed to know. Maybe deep down, he just didn't want to be alone, and didn't feel like fighting with her for once. The unspoken truce had been called between them. The rest of the ride to her apartment had been silent, but it wasn't uncomfortable in any way. She could just tell what he needed, and she was only obliging. The second that Margot pulled into her parking spot, he got out and followed her wordlessly. Nate knew the path to her apartment because he'd already familiarized himself with the building.

In comparison to the place where he probably lived, this was a complete and total dump. But housing in New York wasn't cheap- even if Celia paid her better than a regular job. Still, this was all she could afford. Margot had been desperate to move, because her landlord was an asshole and a total sleaze. She'd been one day late on rent one time, and he'd given her a hard time ever since. The second her lease was up, she wanted to get the hell out of here. The lock clicked as Margot swung the door inward, and Nathan followed her inside wordlessly. She didn't have much liquor in the place so she wasn't too worried about him getting his hands on anything.

The place was a one bedroom, but she wasn't going to offer to share the bed- that was a one time thing that she had no intention of repeating. So, she'd sleep on the couch. It seemed like the most hospitable thing to do. "You can have my bed," she offered quietly, setting her keys in the ceramic bowl by her door.