Chapter 6.13: Competition Time

(DECEMBER 2010)

---

RICH MUTATIO

When we got back to the field, we set up for the showdown we'd been waiting for, putting up flags and outlining our jail areas with bright orange pylons.

"Could you explain the boundaries this time?" Mrs Delilah asked.

Mr Cranston nodded. "The field will be split in half equally between both teams. If you step foot on the other team's territory and they happen to touch you, you will be placed in their jail until one of your team members tags you. Everywhere else is no man's land and anything goes there. I will be observing the game from the side and I won't be moving or talking unless someone cheats."

"Also," Mr Darley added, "we decided to put a little chaos in your strategies to see if you guys can adapt."

Mrs Delilah handed a walkie-talkie to each player from both sides. "To make the game more militaristic, you are allowed to use these. However, these only work on one frequency and whatever your team hears, your opponent can hear too."

We went to our side of the field and the seventh graders went to theirs.

Mr Cranston stood off to the side, observing us. "First team to capture their opponent's flag and touch their's wins. The game starts now!"