Side Story: Test of Courage, Part 4

(DECEMBER 2010)

---

CONAN SCHWARTZ

"JUST PICK A PATH," Mr Darley said. "It's tiring running back and forth."

Emilia and I walked down the fourth path.

"Mr Darley is really overworking himself, huh?" Emilia said.

"Yeah. It's obvious that the suspension bridge effect won't work on us."

"What's that?"

"It's when something scary happens when you're with someone else. And when your heart is beating, you misassociate it with liking the other person. When in reality, it's because you're scared."

"Oh, so that's why you usually watch horror movies on a date."

"Hmm. Yeah, you're right."

"Halt!" a voice that was out of breath demanded. "There was once a married couple who were getting chased by an evil governor. And instead of being captured alive and being separated, they held each other atop a chair and ended their lives."

We continued a little further and found a pink heart-shaped bench.

"If two people sit here for a minute, the curse that was placed on you two will be lifted."

What curse? He never set up any curse!

Emilia and I sat on the bench and awkwardly waited for the one-minute mark.

Come on, Conan, I told myself. Start up a conversation.

The one minute came and went.