Chapter 6.19: Competition Time

(DECEMBER 2010)

---

RICH MUTATIO

Mallory ran to me with open arms and when I held out my arms to hug her back, she punched me in the face instead.

"Ow! What the hell was that for?"

She angrily pointed at me. "Why was my code name Lucky Charms?"

"Why are you asking me? I got Annie."

"This was your stupid idea."

Bond helped me up just as the rest of the class came in and surrounded me in one giant group hug.

Mr Darley was the wildest. He was screaming and taking pictures of us. "My class won! Let's go! My kids are so cool! Aren't they so cool?"

Our group hug was interrupted by the seventh graders, who lined up in front of us.

"Good game," Adrian said while holding open a hand. "We're pretty impressed that you thwarted every single one of our strategies. It's like you guys could see the future."

"Maybe we can." I shook his hand. "Now it's your turn to ask for a rematch."

"No rematch for us. With enough notice, you guys can beat us. We lost by underestimating you."

"What do we win?"

"I don't know. We'll stop undermining your class. And as your upperclassmen, we start acting like it. How about that?"

"As long as you keep your word."
"That's one thing we don't break," he said before walking away.

Mr Cranston came to us, giving us each a high five. "Well done, boys and girls. I can't express how impressed and proud I am. Your strategies were smart."

"Oh yeah, how did you guys feel about using your code names?" I asked my class.

"Horrible," they answered in unison.

"She Won The Gene Game?" Penny asked. "What is that even supposed to mean?"

There was a crazy look in Mallory's eyes. "And whose brilliant idea was it to name me Lucky Charms?"

Brianna whistled and stepped to the side.

"That code name strategy was smart," Mr Darley complimented. "So I'm thinking that... maybe you guys can give me a code name too?"

We began throwing snow at him. "You're a grown man! Code names are for kids only!"

He gave us a puppy-eyed look and pressed his fingers together. "Pwetty Pwease?"

We threw more snow at him. "No! And don't say that or make that face. It's creepy."

For one last time this year, we went to Jenny's Hall to eat lunch before heading back to our cabin and packing up. The bus driver arrived after lunch and we piled inside.

"By the way, Bond," I said. "Even though I was rusty at playing leader, thanks for giving me that chance. It feels nice being the reason why everyone is happy."

"Don't mention it," Bond answered smiling. "The only reason why I get put in charge is because of my brains. To be honest, you're a way better leader than me."

"Thanks. This trip has been fun. Even if I can't remember most of it."

"Uh-huh," Bond said. "I can't wait for next year. Right guys?"

"Yeah," Mallory said.

"Yeah," Charlie nodded.

"Yeah," Conan agreed.

Zoey looked down. "Yeah..."

I watched our cabin shrink behind us, and once it was out of view, I relaxed into my seat for the trip back home.