On Your Own Tonight

"If you do not stop whining, I will gladly see to it that your permanent residence now be in Wardha, rude thing." Eklavya spoke cheerfully, walking ahead of Mihira towards some unknown place.

In her mind, Mihira was extremely aware how idiotic such trust in one could be however she could not help but trust the tribal prince, he had been nothing but helpful to her.

Mihira rolled her eyes,"Were we not going towards our respective residences after the temple? Or do you wish to remember your childhood and spend a nostalgic night in the woods? I deeply regret to inform you that there are no woods but only a ground here, sweet boy."

Eklavya turned and glared at her, narrowing his eyes and pursing his lips. "Perhaps I should cut your tongue before throwing you in Wardha. Mahadev knows that the fishes do not need such blabber. Especially not to the son of the army chief."

"You can try," she shrugged,"I doubt you would even have the opportunity. Even being the son of the army chief. I have more practice with close encounters and hand to hand battles, silly boy."

"Delude yourself, obnoxious thing."

Quite suddenly, he stopped in his trek, making her stop as well. Mihira looked at him tiredly,"Are you playing to be a statue?"

Before she could speak further, he grasped her jaw and turned her head, towards a house at the extreme west edge of the market border. It was fairly isolated, the customary swastik and Tulsi plants near the steps of the house. It was small, seemingly two storied and Mihira guessed that the second story was perhaps for storage, to make up for the lack of space for cattle folk.

An unknown man walked towards them. He was short, plump and seemed to be hating being in the area more than warranted. He wore jewellery that was obviously expensive, a way to expose his status as well as feed into his own ego. A spark of irritation fell in her, something about the smug way he carried himself was insufferable. Her fingers twitched and she wondered how his skin would feel under her fingers.

"May Mahadev be gracious on you. Are you not late, Mahoday Aarush?" Mihira raised her eyebrows at his tone as well as the alias Eklavya used. Winter Sun, subtle but still connected him.

She remembered the day they talked about her dislike of sunsets and how he bragged that he was born at dawn, with the peak of the winters of the year.

Eklavya smiled and answered,"I am sorry to keep you waiting, Mahoday Abhayam. This is my friend, Mihira." Mihira dutifully joined her hands in a namaste with a docile smile.