6 - Before You Sleep

CRACK, SNIP

Clink!

"Cheers!"
"Cheers."

Drinks are shared. From Himeno's balcony, the city was a bright ease on the eye, serving well for Satsuki's nostalgia. He recalled a time very similar, where he had grabbed beers with Himeno, just like this, but with Kishibe present, too. Now, he rejoiced with the same feelings during that time, right in the comfort of Himeno's home. As his mind replayed those savorful thoughts, he drank with solemn, quietly gulping down Himeno's favorite Asahi brand.

A gasp escaped Himeno's lips as she parted her respective beer can. Her face was completely flushed from the liquor's contamination. "Whew! That's the stuff!" She breathes a well-over-the-top sigh. This was already her seventh drink. "Kinda hoped the fun were at a bar," She adds, pouting. "Why ya gotta be a light drinker, Kojo-kun?"

Satsuki lowers his can from his mouth, eyes narrowed. "You're the addict here, idiot."

"Sure am! Addictions get you through tough times. Gotta cope somehow, y'know? Nicotine helps~" She slips a palm to her chin. "Anyways... You should swing by more often. I like the company."

Satsuki's focus is brought to the cityscape, beaming of traffic and colorful lights. "...Sure. It's got a nice view," he admits, turning back, "You mentioned before that you brought Denji around?"

"...I mean, yeah, but I was hammered. Almost threw myself down the gutter..."

Satsuki takes another sip before sighing. "Isn't he, like, sixteen? I thought that was okay here?"

"Maybe, but that's gotta be the youngest to go..."

"Well, that's what you happen to attract, Himmy."

Himeno flocks a hand, a big smirk on her face. "Boys will be boys~"

The small talk flew by; it was two old friends properly reuniting again. Eventually, the chat had moved from the balcony table to the fence barrier, accompanied by more beer in Himeno's hand. Himeno cruised back, arm slung over the black bars of the fence, dangling a newly opened can by the fingertips. "Ever fucked?" She embarked.

"...You must like talking 'bout this kind of stuff."

"Is that your way of dodging my question?"

Satsuki sighs. "...Few times."

"Ahhh...?" Himeno cocks her head, intrigued. "How'd you get the time? Hmm?"

"...There's a hefty price to every contract. A Devil of great power is hard to sustain. Gotta cope somehow, right?" Satsuki shrugs. "Sex helps."

"Ohh~ So you're addicted, then?"

"I'm not addicted," Satsuki sneered. There was a pause afterward. "It... doesn't come often. My time has gone to my preparations--- against Makima."

Himeno's expression hardens, hearing that eerie conjuring of a name. "Maki..." She trails off, shaking her head in dismay. "You're really going for this, aren't you? Don't you wanna leave? Maybe settle down with a girl?"

"Leaving now would be dangerous. I can't get any more lives outside of Public Safety involved. I'll be in debt of more than I can afford back."