Prologue

NOTICE: Noah isn't the main character! He is just the Love interest! The prologue is just coming from him.

Seven years ago...

Tonight was one of the most important days in my life. I stood in my room, looking at my reflection in the mirror. Tonight could be the night I might find my mate. Sure, I shouldn't get my hopes up, but my Father found my mother found my mother on her 16th birthday, and my grandmother found my grandfather. This was the night I had been waiting for since I first understood what a mate was. My heart is pounding like a drum in my chest in hopefulness.

My 16th birthday had arrived, and with it came the anticipation of an event that could alter the course of my life. For years, I had dreamt of finding her, the one destined to complete my soul—my mate. As the night went on, I got slightly disappointed that I hadn't found her. But I wasn't too upset. I still had tomorrow!

Every year, the hope in my heart burned bright that I might find her. Understanding how much I longed for my mate, my Father went to great lengths to help my search. He invited every unmated wolf over 16, bringing them to our grand balls and celebrations in hopes that my mate would reveal herself. These events became a source of excitement, frustration, and sadness as each year passed without a glimpse of her.

Yet, as the years passed, the hope flickered, dimming in the face of repeated disappointment. All my friends found their mates; the happiness on their faces only made me jealous. I was still happy for them, but I couldn't help but wish that was me, holding my mate safely in my arms as she slept soundly. The spark of hope had become a distant memory, replaced by the bitter acceptance that maybe I was never even given a mate.

Once I turned 21, I took over as Alpha. The pack's strength had grown a lot under my rule. In only a few years, I'd achieved what many wished they could in a lifetime, forging alliances and securing our place as the most powerful pack in North America. But even as I had so much power, there was still something missing - a hole in my heart that only one soul could ever fill - My mate.

I gazed at the moon. The one that had once filled me with dreams of love and companionship. Its cold light washed over me as I ran through the woods. A pack without a Luna was a weak one. The Luna acted as a pillar, holding up her Alpha and pack. And yet, I was without that pillar, a leader with an incomplete heart.

As I paced the forest floor, my thoughts churned. I contemplated a future without a mate and couldn't live so miserably. Could I lead without her? Was my legacy doomed to be alone? My choices weighed down on me, the gravity of my role intertwining with my longing for her.

The howl of a distant wolf echoed through the night, a mournful sound reflecting my chest's emptiness. I closed my eyes, the memory of that distant howl pulling at something deep within me. It was said that the bond between mates could be felt across great distances, an unbreakable connection that defied logic. It wasn't her, but someone who shared my pain, someone who longed for their mate just as much as I do, but she was nowhere to be found.

As the night continued, I made a decision. With a heavy sigh, I turned back toward our pack's territory, the burden of absence settling on my shoulders. The path before me was clear: I would lead, protect, and build a legacy that would have to endure without her.

But even as the years passed, a tiny flicker of hope stayed inside me. He was constantly reminding me that she still might be out there. I just need to look for her. The world was big, and there were many wolves, mateless. I was determined. I would find her, even if it took a lifetime.

Author here! Just letting you know I decided to try and sound a little poetic here. The rest of the book won't be like this. Thanks again for reading! <3

-Karina<3

740 words