Chapter 1 - The Gala

Chapter 1!

Chapter 1!

!!TW!! Non-consented kissing! It is mild, but if you don't like reading it, I will be putting ⚠⚠⚠ before it starts and after it ends. (Obviously, Non-consensual anything isn't okay, but the scene isn't detailed and is kissing and touching.)

I watched the sunset while sorting the last few books on my cart. The library didn't pay much, but it was enough. I love working here because of the quiet, calm atmosphere, and of course, I love books. The smell, the comfort, the way they transport you to other worlds, I loved it all. I was sorting through a cart of returns and spotted one of my favorite classics, The Great Gatsby. I love the story and setting. Jay is one of my favorite characters.

While slipping the last few books onto the shelf, a regular in the library came up to me. Aaron Mitchell. He came five times a week at 8 p.m., conveniently the exact time my shift ended. I knew he was interested in me, but I was not looking to date right now, and he is definitely not my type.

"Hey, E!" I hated that nickname, but I didn't have the heart to tell him.

"Hey, you know, I'm still on my shift. I can't be having side conversations while working." I tell him for the thousandth time. He was a relatively sweet guy. He was. But I'm not looking for a relationship right now, and I'm already busy with college and my job. I don't have time to date.

"I know, I know," he paused," Are you free this Friday? For drinks?"

"Aaron," I sigh, frustrated, "you know Fridays are my relaxation days, meaning I'm not free to go out then." I hoped he got this hint from my irritated tone.

"Maybe another day then." 

Oh. My. Gosh. This man is pissing me off.

"Aaron. I should've said this sooner. I don't know if you noticed the signals, but I'm not interested in you. I'm not interested in anyone. And I'm not in the right place to date right now." His eyes flashed yellow for a moment before vanishing. I should be freaking out, but I was used to it. It happened often with him and I'm guessing it's medical or personal because he got defensive and nervous whenever I asked.

"Right. Sorry. I'll see you next week!" He walked away quickly, and I returned to finish my cart. He's been acting weird lately, well, weirder than usual. I just want to graduate and move out of this town already. The men here were creepy, aside from a few good ones like Jackosn, Marge's son. He was like an older brother to me. Me and Marge have been working to find him a girlfriend.

After my shift ended, I said goodbye to Marge, the longest-working librarian here. She was adorable and my favorite co-worker. Her husband, Howard, owned the library. She told me he had built it for her 38 years ago when they married. I may not be looking for a relationship now, but I want what they have. A love that never dies. But given my luck, that won't happen.

I walked down the road, trying to get home quickly. I had pepper spray and a taser in my bag, but I still didn't want to have to pull them out. My parents have wanted me to move back to Oregon for a while, but I want to finish my degree here.