Chapter 9

Gaston loved the berries, the sweetness and the tang of the sourness just perfect and they were nice and plump and juicy. Grabbing another one from the box, he chewed on it thoroughly, making the juices stick to his cheeks, and then he took another one, mushing it in his enthusiasm, but it was yummy as well.

Gasto sucked the juice from his fingers, and when he reached again in the box, he was disappointed to find it empty. Frowning, he picked it up and looked inside it, seeing a few stains from the berry juice but nothing else.

"More?" he asked Belle, holding the empty container out to her, while she looked at him amused, not having been able to steal a single berry for herself.

"I guess I can go check the kitchens if there is more," Belle said, "might get a towel for your face as well, and a clean romper,"

"Okay," Gaston easily agreed, "but berries first,"

"Yes, berries first," Belle laughed, patting Gaston on the head when she stood up. The little smiled and for a moment captured her hand, before he let go again, laughing.

"I like you," Gaston said, and Belle blinked in surprise at the sudden words.

"Thank you," she said, "I like you too,"

"I don't like him," Gaston said, pointing where Adam was pretending to sleep. He kept carefully still at that sentence, even though it almost broke his heart when he heard Gaston say it once again.

"Oh," Belle said, already knowing this, but still hoping that the two of them would be able to see eye to eye. She was hoping that Gaston would be willing to stay after he had been healed. It had given her an opportunity to satisfy her caregiver instincts without being saddled with a husband and seven children at the same time.

And she was sure that Gaston would like it as well, when he would be able to give in to his headspace at least.

"He's big and scary," Gaston said in a small whisper.

"But I promise you, he can be very nice," Belle said, thinking a little, "and if I am to get more berries, you will need to wait here, near Adam,"

"I do?" Gaston asked, glancing over at the sleeping beast. His lip quivered a little, pulling attention to the chin covered in berry juices. A sticky hand came to his mouth, and he was sucking his thumb again.

"Yes you do," Belle said, "here is your dummy. I want you to stay here near Adam, and when I come back, I'll give you the berries. You don't have to be afraid, okay?"

"I guess," Gaston said, looking warily at Adam, who was still pretending to sleep, but while Gaston had been distracted by his conversation, he had opened his eyes, and nodded at Belle. She knew he would watch the little while she was gone, and make sure he wouldn't get hurt.

"That's a good brave boy you are," Belle said, ruffling his hair a little and surprised when the man surged forward and hugged her around the waist, his head on her belly.

"Mama, come back soon?" Gaston asked, and Belle smiled, dropping a kiss on the top of his head.

"Of course sweetheart," Belle said, and then took the container and set off to the castle.

Gaston sat on the cloth, nervously playing with his dummy before popping it in his mouth. Shifting a little, he looked at the slumbering beast. It still looked scary, but now it was asleep, it was less scary than before.

It didn't loom over him, or growled, or showed his teeth when Belle said it was smiling.

Its fur did look incredibly soft and shined prettily in the sunlight. Glancing for a moment to the castle, Gaston couldn't see any sign of Belle. He sucked the dummy a little bit harder, but then boredom and curiosity won out.