8

*DON'T FORGET TO VOTE & COMMENT*

"The research project you submitted about the maternal health of Black Women was so good that I shared it with some of my colleagues at lunch and this one admissions counselor from John Hopkins was so impressed, he's expecting to see an application from you before June" Ms. Johnson smiled as she seen the glimmer in Mariah's eyes as she spoke.

The two of them we're talking in an empty classroom during Mariah's free period, something that she found herself doing a lot since it was the last period of the day and she wasn't allowed to leave early.

"I'm definitely going to apply but I'm leaning more towards Spelman, I know it doesn't have the prestige that John Hopkins has when it comes to medicine but it's where my mom met my dad. It's kinda like a special heirloom to me, and I'm also not sure if I even want to go down the medicine route" Mariah sighed, her fingers tracing the diamond chain on her neck that held a picture of her father.

Ms. Johnson nodded understandingly, her eyes still fixed on Mariah. "You're going to prosper wherever you go, and no matter what career field you end up in, you'll be okay. I believe in you"

The seventeen year old girl smiled warmly at her teacher, it was crazy how much she went to the woman for life advice, she barely even spoke to her mother this much.

"Thank you for everything Ms Johnson, talking to you is one of the few things I look forward to when I walk in this building"

Ms Johnson was about to say something but the bell rang loudly and the sound of kids storming the hall took over.

"I'll see you tomorrow Ms. J" Mariah hopped off the desk she was sitting on before giving the older woman a hug and rushing her way out of the school exit.

She hated being in crowds, especially due to the fact the kids at Midwood never had a good odor.

As she finally reached the worn-out parking lot, she felt a sense of relief wash over her. Getting inside of her 2015 BMW, Mariah connected her phone to the car speaker before calling Michael.

"Watchu want?" The boy spoke loudly over a noisy crowd in the background and Mariah just rolled her eyes.

"Nigga do you need a ride?"

"Oh nah my bad, I left early today. Im at the crib with Meech, Haile, Myles, and my homeboy Cain." Mariah rolled her eyes as she heard all the names and just hung up the phone before driving off. She missed having the freedom of going home to a quiet house so she could just sleep peacefully.

Although she loved having Michael around, him having a bunch of people in the house everyday was overbearing.

»»----  ----««

"Nigga that's 7, yo ass don't know addition?! Give me my fucking money" Michael yelled out before grabbing the stack of cash in the middle of the living room.

He didn't know how a little after school linkup basically turned into a kickback with so much niggas and bitches playing dice. Drinks and weed were all over the place, even Mariah was downstairs which was surprising since she hated people.

"Mane fuck this hoe ass game, I been losing bread since a nigga got here" Cain sucked his teeth and left the middle of the floor. He was one of the few people Michael knew outside of the usual crew, they met in their English class and just been rockin since.