One.

This lifestyle gave us all a thrill, now you gone, I just hate it; Don't wanna pass the wood, I'm facing.
Lil Scoom, Blood in Blood out.

SIMONE ASHANTI "NINA" BANKS.
JUNE 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐.
South Side, Chicago.

The summer air was thick and smoldering as the residents of the Robert Taylor homes flooded the courtyard

The summer air was thick and smoldering as the residents of the Robert Taylor homes flooded the courtyard. It was smack-dab in the middle of June and the month had been full of nothing but pain already.

This wasn't anything new to Simone though, she was used to hearing the gut-wrenching cries of mothers when their sons were gunned down in the streets. But what she wasn't used to was it being one of her own.

Her favorite cousin, Zaire was gunned down when he was out of town. Many think he was backdoored by the ones he loved most, which added insult to injury for Simone. She hated that she wasn't there to save him, especially since they were stuck at the hip.

They were supposed to leave the city to party but Simone was on the bracelet. She couldn't just up and leave, and partying in Chicago wasn't safe for him.

This had Simone spiraling, smoking backwood after backwood, taking a shots everytime she got the chance. She didn't know how to cope.

She wished she could've just said fuck the bracelet and went with him, maybe he wouldn't have been alone in his last moments.

It would've been them, together.

Simone was snapped out of her thoughts when her shoulder was nudged, she blinked back into consciousness as she looked over.

It was her turn for the blunt, which she took a heavy drag of as she smoothed her hands over her pants before exhaling. "You good, Simone?", Her cousin, Symir asked. His hazel orbs studying her side profile. He could tell she'd been crying, they both had.

"I'll be better when somebody else crying. I'm tired Scoom." She expressed, a tear falling onto the wood as she took another drag.

A deep sigh escaped his lips as he nodded his head. "That shit coming, trust. I wanna do this shit right, I wanna stand over these niggas." Scoom responded, releasing the thick smoke from his nose as his homeboys nodded in agreement.

"We gon' get they ass sis. Don't worry." Scoom leaned in, wiping the tears that fell from Simone's eyes. He hated seeing her cry, that shit was breaking him more than anything.

Zaire, Scoom, and Simone had all grew up together on the SouthSide, right in the heart of Drill City, many of her male family members being decorated members of the gang.