Prologue

Shafts of light was shining through the trees as the clan woke. Lightstar walked out of her den to get a piece of fresh kill when the dawn patrol bursted through the fern tunnel, covered in blood.
"What happened!" exclaimed Lightstar

"We were attacked by a badger. We tried to get it off our territory but it was too strong. We fought as hard as we could. Then it took Flametails life. We couldn't keep fighting without losing more warriors so we retreated back to camp."

Lightstar watched as Flametail's body was dragged to the center of camp. Lightstar climbed to the top of the high rock.
"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather around the high rock for a clan meeting," she meowed. She watched as all the cats gathered around the high rock.

"As some of you may already know, we lost a brave warrior today. He died fighting a badger, trying to defend our camp. We will sit vigil tonight for Flametail" Some of the cats gasped and mutter to one another. "The dawn patrol couldn't fight off the badger, so I need Orangepaw, Moonpaw, Leafpaw, Brightpelt, and Rabbitfoot to put more brambles around the walls and nursery. I'll also need a guard at the entrance day and night. Badgerjaw, you will be the first shift untill sunhigh. Redspots, you'll take his shift when he finishes."

Lightstar jumped off the rock and the clan started to separate into small groups. The rest of the cats went to work. Appletree walked over to Lightstar. "These cats are badly injured but they'll survive."
"Thank you, Appletree You've been an excellent medicine cat. But, we're in need of warriors, and we can't rush the apprentices training. Have you had a sign from Starclan?"

"No," meowed Appletree , as she looked into the sky. "I'm afraid not. They've been silent for moons now" Lightstar sighed. "What!" Appletree gasped. Appletree was receiving a message from Starclan! She saw a cat surrounded by daisies, battling a monstrous creature and heard, "Daisies will save your clan"