7

[This chapter will have some sensitive scenes in it, so this is your reminder]

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Third Person's POV

When Penelope told them that the case was Maddie, they were all shocked to say the least. But the question is how? Also why? And, where is she? Hailey was still on the phone as she was crying into a pillow but they still heard her crying. They felt bad for Hailey as she deserves better than the past two days. She should be happy and bubbly, not crying. For starters she isn't over the sudden death of her mom, and now her best friend is missing, also she's debating if she wants to go to college. She's feeling stressed out and it's not good when she's stressed.

Penelope continues to try to talk to Hailey but she isn't bugging. The team looked down to their feet as if simultaneously. All thinking over the case, and trying to think.

"Here, darling, your Dad wants to talk to you." Penelope says Derek looks at her. "I don't know what to say." She whispers to him as he got the hint as he grabbed Penelope's phone. Before excusing himself and talking to his daughter.

"Hey, babygirl." He says to her as she cried as an answer.

"Why?" She says to him as he scrunched his eyebrows at her. Well the phone.

"What?" He asks her confused as he doesn't know what she's talking about. With Hailey, it could be about anything.

"Why, is it always me?" She asks him as he knows that her voice is cracking. He doesn't like her being like this. He likes it when she calls Penelope telling her how her day went even if they are in the middle of a case or not. Penelope always has time for Hailey. For her Hails.

He doesn't like when she calls Penelope for moments like this, and she's crying like this. Or anything like this.

"I'm sorry babygirl." He says to her as even himself doesn't know what to say to her.

" I lost mom and now my best friend is missing. What's next?" She says as her voice cracks as she raises her voice. "It's not fair. Is it bad that I was even thinking about apologizing to mom. Now it's too late. Too fucking late. It's not fucking fair." Hailey says as he knows that she's entered the 'anger' part of grieving.

He knows that grieving is different for all people but Hailey is going to probably be the longest.

"I know that babygirl, I know what you're going through. But believe me, it's going to be okay." Derek says as he heard Hailey blowing her nose as now she knows that her makeup is definitely smudged as she's been crying buckets for at least a good ten minutes.

He can't wait until they get Maddie and finish the case because the three of them, also if Penelope wants to come too. They're going on a nice long vacation. They deserve it.

"It's not a bad thing that you wanted to apologize to your mom, babygirl. That's not a bad thing. It took a lot of courage to do so." He adds as she groaned in her pillow. "I love you babygirl." He says to her as Penelope gives him a sad look.

"Whatever, leave me to slowly die." Hailey says before she hangs up as Derek got up and handed Penelope her phone back.

"She'll be okay." Penelope says to him, but she was just trying to reassure herself. She mainly said that to herself. Trying to tell herself that Hailey will be okay.