Chapter 4

This time, I helped her stand and hooked my arm on her waist. She did not complain and placed her arm on my shoulder for support. We were side by side. And she led us into a secluded area in the resort.

There was dead a fountain. Coins were glistening at the bottom. There was a momentary joy in her eyes upon seeing it but suddenly it was replaced with – I couldn't find the exact word – agony, perhaps.

"Me and my mom used to come here often when I was a kid. She told me that if there was anything I wanted, I'll just make a wish and throw a coin at the fountain. The funny thing is I always got what I wanted. I wish I could do that now." She almost choked on the last sentence.

"You know what, I'm certainly up for coin-throwing sessions right now." I emptied my pockets and eagerly showed her some coins. She just smiled.

"Why? Ugh wait, you want me to ask the receptionist to turn on the water system?"

She shook her head. "No. I'm too old for that now."

"You look like a 12-year old to me." I patted her on the head. "Baby girl, where's your mommy? You want candy?"

Instead of laughing as I expected, a shadow passed over her eyes. But she didn't say a word. She just sat by the fountain side. Looking down, staring at the silver coins at the bottom. Lost in her own world.

My body acted on instinct. I sat down beside her and wrapped my arm around her shoulder. She looked me in the eyes. I saw compassion, love,hope. But there is something else. Pain? She sighed and dropped her head on my shoulder. I pulled her closer.

I can't remember how long we stayed in that position. Just us. Her, leaning on my shoulder. Me, holding her carefully. Both staring at the bottom of the silent fountain. Listening to each other breathe. Swaying to the sound of each other's heartbeats.

I became aware of the night when my eyes could no longer see the coins shimmer. The staff probably didn't know that we're there and did not turn the lights on. She was still lost in her thoughts. I waited for a few moments before rousing her back to reality.

~End of Chapter 4~