Chapter Fourteen

"Aalya! Over here!"
Turning to my right, I scanned the camp to see Baelfire, who was standing in the middle of the training field. He called to me as I exited Pan's tent. Pan had told me that we would talk later. I really hoped later was further away than it sounded.
I walked over to Baelfire, and hesitantly took the long-bow he handed to me.
Eyeing him curiously, I asked, "Why do I need this?"
I studied the string and wood to be sure it was safe, but it looked as if the Lost Boys took good care of their possessions. Well, as long as the possession wasn't clothing.
Noticing my interest in the weapon, Baelfire spoke with curiosity.
"Do you know how to shoot?"
"What?" I asked, shifting back into the moment.
"The bow: have you ever shot one?"
"Oh, no. Well, not really. I shot one of my brothers' bows a few times, but that's about it."
"You had brothers?" he asked as he handed me a sheath full of feather-fletched arrows. They looked brand new, if only made by hand.
I took them and secured the strap over my shoulder before answering.
"I have two brothers. One is sixteen. The other is seventeen. They both still live at home." I added the last part, wishing things were different.
Baelfire secured his own sheath and picked up his bow, then started walking to the middle of the field. I followed, bow in hand.
As we walked, Baelfire looked over at me.
"Aya, how old are you?"
"I'm fifteen."
He nodded his head, but said nothing more.
We stopped in the center of the field, and I took a moment to look around. There were six targets nailed to trees around the clearing. They were drawn with charcoal - two circles around the bullseye - typical target.
Baelfire began pointing them all out, two by two, explaining the yardage.
"Alright, Aya, there are six targets - two at fifty yards, two at thirty, and two at fifteen, each duplicate opposite of each other across the field. What you'll do is start with the fifteen, and move up from there."
"Why am I doing this?" I questioned as he took his own bow and nocked an arrow.
Pulling back the string, he aimed it on the first target. "Because Pan wants to train you to be one of us."
Thunk
Baelfire's arrow hit just above the bullseye at fifteen yards. He set another arrow and pulled the bow back again. I pulled out an arrow of my own and set it to the string.
"So he wasn't messing with me? He really wants me to be a Lost Girl?"
Thunk
Second shot down for Baelfire. Top of the middle dot. Pan wasn't lying. This kid was definitely good with a bow. I pulled my own string, set, inhaled slowly, and released the arrow as I exhaled.
Thwap
Not bad. At least I hit the target. Barely.
"Hey!" he exclaimed. "You hit it. Good job!"
He pulled another arrow, as did I. The shots. He hit perfectly. I did too...well...if the tree is what you call perfect.
Baelfire examined the shots and screwed up his face. "Well," he began. "Why don't you shoot once more, and we'll go from there."
"Okay."
I nocked an arrow, pulled, inhaled, held, simultaneous exhale and release:
Thump
Second line. Acceptable.
"Well, Baelfire, if Pan wants to make a Lost Girl out of me, he's got his work cut out for him."
"You aren't that bad at archery, Aya. And, besides, he knows you can fight."
I looked at him and smiled. "Thanks," I said. "But that's not what I meant."
"What did you mean?" he asked me.
"I mean that... Listen, Baelfire, I'm not an easy person to make into anything. I'm stubborn, yet quiet. Skeptical, and I'm inconsistent. I don't think he knows who he brought here. The chances of me ever becoming what he wants are slim. And if I were to become actual Lost Girl material, I fear that I would lose myself all together. I've worked so hard to keep my heart from turning dark - I'm afraid that if I give in even just a little, I may lose my mercy entirely; possibly even my sanity."
Baelfire turned to the opposite target and loaded another arrow. He then paused and spoke. "I don't know why Pan does what he does, but I know he always has a reason, good or bad, and your job is to do as he says." Pulling the bow, he aimed, settled, then spoke once more.
"Whatever it is he wants you for, it's important to him. You should find out what that is."
Thwap
"Pan will do anything to get what he wants. And Peter Pan never fails."
                                                                                      ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
"Okay. One more time. Calm and steady."
Baelfire stood beside me as I aimed at the second fifty yard target. We had been out here for two hours, and it had taken me that long to get a bullseye on every target.
Baelfire placed his hand under my right wrist and pushed it up a bit so the arrow would arch and cover a greater distance.
"Don't rush it, Aya. You can do it."
I allowed myself another breath, settled on the target, and released the string.
Thwack!
Perfect shot. Right in the center.
I giggled and bounced on my toes a little.
"Oh my word!" I sighed. "We've been here for hours. I thought it would never end. I didn't think I would ever hit all the targets."
Baelfire picked up his bow, laughing at my obvious relief. "To be honest, I was kind of starting to wonder..."
"Hey!" I objected.
"I'm only joking," he defended.
"It's good to see you're fitting in," a voice commented.
Baelfire and I looked to see Pan leaning against the tree with the target I had just shot. If only he had been there a minute ago, I could have shown him that I now understood his version of "target practice".
"I see Bae is teaching you well. Good. Now it's my turn. Go gather some firewood, Baelfire. I'll take it from here."
I looked at Baelfire nervously, but he only nodded his head, smiled at me, and walked into the jungle.
Walking over to me, Pan began picking up the archery gear and told me to do the same. After taking it back to the weaponry, I exited the shed, assuming we were done in there.
"I need you to come back, Aya," Pan said.

My mistake.

Once I got back inside, Pan lit a torch so we could have more light.
"Um, do you not have some kind of oil lamp to light instead of a torch?" I backed away from him as I said it, trying to avoid my hair being lit on fire.
"Of course we do," he replied. He smirked, then added, "But a torch is much more fun. A lot more dangerous."
"Ah. Nice."
"Here, you hold it," he said, placing it in my hands. I coughed from the immense amount of smoke billowing from the torch, and glared at Pan's back.
I looked around the room, noticing all the different kinds of weapons. Most of them looked handmade, excepting a couple of daggers, and a sword.
Pan handed me a machete and took one for himself.
"In order to stay here, you'll have to learn to fight with every weapon we have. Now, be a good girl, and do as I say."
In that instant, I was surrounded by green smoke.