Chapter Seventeen

I woke up the next morning with the sunshine warming my face. The walls and ceiling were a dreamy orange color in the morning light.

Groaning with pleasure, I rolled over and pulled the edge of my white blanket up to my mouth and snuggled my head deeper into the soft pillow. I breathed in deeply and sighed with pleasure. I couldn't remember the last time I'd slept so well.

I sat up and looked out the window. A chickadee landed on a branch right outside the window, then flew off a moment later when a breeze lifted the branch. Sighing one more time I removed my attention from the world outside and began to scan the room, searching for Pan. I caught sight of him at the writing desk, quill frozen in mid air and his gaze fixed on me.

"Good morning, Sunshine," he greeted. He finished with whatever he was writing, then, setting his quill on the desk, he stood up and walked over to the bed where I was sitting silently. Pan sat down and smiled at me pleasantly. He looked like the boy I had met in my yard just days ago. For a moment I forgot about being locked in a cage and attacked by lost boys. For a moment I felt at home.

I pushed my bangs away from my eyes and bit my lip. This was a bit awkward.

"So," I said. "What's on the agenda for today?" I asked him.

"Today," he replied readily, " you get an official tour of Neverland, lead by the best tour guide this island has ever seen: yours truly."

I raised my eyebrows, and smiled a little, excited by the idea of seeing the rest of the island - my new home. Somehow it didn't seem so ominous to say that today. The thought of a complete tour made me curious to know if the locations on the island were the same as in the story. I didn't think so, after seeing everything that was so very different, even just at the campsite.

"Ah, I see you're pleased at the prospect.
Alright, Princess," Pan stood up and offered me his hands. I hesitated for a moment, but I grabbed hold and let him help me up.
"You, get changed," he continued, "and I'll go to the campsite and grab some food to get us through the day."

"But I thought you said I only get two outfits to wear," I reminded him.

"Ah, yes, I believe I did." He stepped back and went to grab the stack of clothes that were sitting on the chest at the end of the bed.
"But, you see, I'm not familiar with girls and their habits like some of my lost boys are. Felix was telling me that his sister used to change twice a day, just because, and that I should consider the fact that you are a girl with similar habits, no doubt, and so you might want a few more changes of clothes. And as much as Felix knows, I figure I should take his advice once in awhile."

I was a little shocked.
"Felix suggested that?"

"Yes, indeed."
He handed me the clothes and stepped outside. "Come out whenever you're ready," he told me, and closed the door.

I stared after him in shock. Felix suggested I get extra privileges? Was he talking about the same Felix who'd threatened my life and locked me in a crate? Pan's puppet, Felix?
Why would he do that?
I looked down at the clothes as if they held the answers. I felt as if I'd stepped into a portal to an alternate reality where Peter Pan really is kind and fun loving, and his second in command walks around the jungle dressed as a rabbit.

I shook off the feeling of dream state and began to undress. The skirt Pan had given me was black, knee length and flowing. Easy to move around in and not in the way. The chalk blue quarter sleeve shirt matched the mood of the morning and I smiled with satisfaction as I strapped on the four inch dagger and sheath.

As I laced up my boots I stared over at the bear skin sofa that Pan had slept on the night before. He'd been completely silent while he slept: no moaning or sighing or talking in his sleep. He hadn't even moved around or anything. I had gotten up at one point and went over to watch his chest rise and fall to be sure he was still breathing. Even the way the guy slept was magic.

I opened the treehouse door and almost fell over when I stepped over the threshold. Thankfully I managed a tight grip on the door handle. After all the bewilderment this morning I had forgotten about the invisibility spell Pan had on the treehouse. I let my heart rate settle before making a slow attempt at finding the opening in the railing where the rope ladder was. I eventually found it, and by the time I made it down the forty feet to the ground, Pan had arrived with a burlap sack filled with what I assumed was food.

"You ready to see the world?" He asked the question, the glint of excitement I had noted before shining in his forest green eyes.

"I guess so."

"Oh, trust me, Aya, when I say: the world you knew before is nothing compared to what you're about to see."
He held out his hand to me, and I accepted.

"Hold on," he told me just before my feet left the ground.