Chapter Eighteen

Pixie Hollow, Crocodile Creek, Cannibal Cove, the Neverland Plains - it was all so beautiful and terrifying. Some locations, like Dark Hollow and Skull rock were terrifying in the sense that they were dark and dense, and Pan told me about the kinds of creatures that lurked about in the forests of Dark Hollow. Yet, even these dark, dangerous places had a hue of beauty laced into their black and dreary jungles. Perhaps it was only the sense of mystery and the thrill of fear that made them seem just a little aluring. But, as Baelfire had warned, Pan made it clear that I was never to go near these areas without him or Felix. To be honest, I was relieved to know he wasn't planning on sending me off to hunt game alone on Cannibal Cove.
As we circled around the North side of the island, I spotted the beach where Pan had left me alone the night before. I felt silly now seeing just how close I had been to the lost boys' campsite. I asked Pan if this beach had a name. He called it Neverbay. Said it was the most peaceful and safe location on the island, next to the treehouse. He pointed out Neverpeak Mountain, and mentioned something about it appearing only during the daytime, though he didn't say why.
Our last stop on the tour was a little lagoon to the east side of the island: a blue-green pool so clean it looked as if it had only just appeared that day. Maybe it had. The beach was the polar opposite of Pirate Cove; the beach the shadow had dropped me on when I first arrived. There were no sticks, or rocks, or dead foliage on the sand, and instead of still, stagnant water, this clear pool washed over the sand and fell back with a gentle ease. A waterfall trickled down a rock wall, and splashed onto the boulders which stood tall and shone pure white, glinting in the sunlight. We landed on the hot sand and Peter took off his boots, rolled up his pants and waded into the water. I stood on the shore and watched, reluctant to follow. Pan had treated me well today. But that wasn't enough to make me forget the way he had treated me before. He was a fascinating boy, but I knew he was untrustworthy.
So I stood on the beach and watched this brown haired boy who had an obvious obsession with the color green. He stood knee deep in water, staring out across the ocean, and I wondered what he was thinking about.
I sat down on the beach, pushing my curiosity away, and stared out across the ocean. It looked so blue. I had never, in all my life seen an ocean. I could recall my freinds going from time to time, but my family had never been able to afford a vacation. In fact, we didn't get out much at all, so sitting on the sand, looking out across such emptiness - having the freedom to GO places - it was refreshing. It was extra warm today, so I shook off my boots and sauntered down toward the water. The sun glared off the crystal waves, blinding me as I met the waters edge and let it wash over my hot skin.
I waded a little deeper and dug my feet into the sand beneath the water. The feeling made me laugh in delight. The wind blew my hair into my face, and I tilted my head back and breathed in the sweet, clean air.
I stood there for several minutes, feeling as though I could stay for hours. I hadn't felt this good in a long time. As I bathed in the sun, a faint, yet prominent voice reached my ears. Opening my eyes, I searched the beach for the singer, but there was no one there. I looked at Pan, watching his reaction to determine what I was hearing. He had lowered his face from the sun, and his head hung low, his eyes still squeezed shut, as if the song bouncing across the waves brought back some dear and yet painful memory.
The melody was haunting. It sent shivers down my spine and I suddenly wanted nothing more than to get out of this lagoon. But I couldn't leave Pan, could I? Surely he could take care of himself. Yet something about the voice across the sea made me afraid, not just for myself, but for this boy who looked younger and younger by the day.
I made my choice and waded out to stand beside him.
"Pan?"
No response.
"Pan, I think we should leave. There's something out there and I don't think it's friendly."
He didn't look up - didn't budge. For a moment I thought he was asleep until he mumbled something about a siren or something.
"What?" I looked at his face, searching for an answer to what he was talking about.
"Pan, did you say there are sirens out here? Pan!"
He just nodded, still lost in his own mind.
"Aren't sirens dangerous? You warned me about them when I came, didn't you?"
He wasn't responding, and it was starting to freak me out.
I grabbed his shoulder and shook him a little. "Pan?" No response. "Pan!" Still nothing. I splashed him with water and jumped back a couple of feet in case he decided to retaliate. To my dismay he stood still, lost as if in a trance.
The voice sounded closer than before, and I had the distinct feeling that the last thing I wanted was a sing along with a mermaid, so I grabbed Pan's shoulder again and lifted his face with my other hand. He looked like a child unable to wake from a short nap. "Pan! Pan, wake up! Look at me!" It did no good. None at all. I looked to see a line streaming across the water, as if a shark was swimming on the surface. A shark with the speed of a jaguar. It came nearer, and moved so fast. If this idiot didn't come to soon we would both be dead.
I grabbed his arms and shook him hard. A scream left my lips and I yelled again. "Peter!"
His eyes shot open and his head jerked frantically around. I saw his gaze lock onto the water creature, and he pushed me behind him. He submerged his hands in the water and a wave came up from the water and rushed forward. A tale broke though the surface at the impact, and I watched in terror as the siren was carried away in a rush of foam.