CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: THE WEDDING

Ethel went to the maximum-security prison alone, accompanied by her most trusted driver

Ethel went to the maximum-security prison alone, accompanied by her most trusted driver. The jail director took her to the cell and offered a comfortable armchair, and a selection of refreshments if she needed them. She made a shaky head motion.

"Thank you very much, Mr. Director; I don't need anything."

When Ethel entered the cell, she thought to herself, 'He's even more handsome than his father. It's no wonder Theolinda was so infatuated with him.'

Ryan stood up from his chair as she walked in, saying:

"Ma'am, it's a pleasure to have you here."

Ethel took a seat across from Ryan and said:

"I met your father many years ago, and he was a great man."

Ryan replied:

"I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. He was an excellent businessman but a terrible father."

Ethel smiled and said to Ryan:

"I like you. I appreciate honesty. When is your wedding with Theolinda planned?"

Ryan responded:

"It's happening in a week. You are, of course, welcome to attend."

Ethel said:

"It would be my honor to be there. We'll do our best to make it as wonderful as possible given the circumstances."

As Ethel prepared to leave, she added:

"I hope for a grandchild as soon as possible. Ryan, I'll see you next week."

"See you then," Ryan replied.

Allon Blake, the commissioner, greeted Theo in his office. She knew what she was going to say would be difficult for him to grasp, but she had no option.

"Detective Brady, what brought you to see me?"