14. Barren

Gradually the relationship between Mary and James was getting better. It's been months and the once sworn enemies now cuddle up to each other every single night. Mr. Delaney wasn't that we call a sweet husband, but he was definitely warm to Mary. In privacy he would embrace her and kiss her and make love to her. In public he'd treat her with most respect now. Mary was happy, beaming and yet there was something, that sadden her deeply or better yet, worried her. It's been months and she hasn't conceived a child yet. Her mind was restless sometimes. Yes... James was devoted, but for how long? He'll see, that Mary can't give him a child and maybe he will, after all, try to find it in another woman. She knew, she needs to speak with him about it. It didn't take more delay.

One afternoon when he had just gotten home from work, she found him at his study seeing his documents. With a gentle knock she entered the study. "James," she called smoothly. He looked up and she smiled. "I'm glad you're back. Can we talk?"

He put down the glass and beckoned her to take a seat. "What is it, Mary?"

Slowly she walked inside and sat down at the chair. Anxious, she wasn't sure, how to start with this talk. "Ah.. how was your day, love?" She asked first.

"Endless," he said as he connected hands on the top of the table. "Yours?"

"I'm sorry to hear that," she gave him a gentle smile. "Well, I suppose better than yours," she chuckled softly, but her smile faded slowly. "James..."she rose her blue eyes on him again, "...I'm bleeding... again."

He grunted and took a sip from the glass. "I've noticed in the morning."

She was looking into his eyes expecting disappointment, but she couldn't read him. He didn't seem to be bothered. It was hard to read his face. "I... you know, I might be barren."

"Or perhaps I can't give you child. Maybe it's us both," he said and finished his glass. "What is your suggestion, madam Delaney?"

"I don't have any," she whispered feeling guilty. "You still consider to find another woman for this?" she swallowed hard.

"No," he shook his head. "I never wanted a child. As much as we are close and grew sympathy for each other, if there wasn't the condition given by your father, I wouldn't want to have child even with you. I'm not fit to be around child. And I prefere to have you only for myself and not share you with some screaming little creature, who, I'm sure, would make me drink heavily again."

Mary couldn't help and snorted from his words. "Well, I agree. After all this, forcing to breed my own parents I don't think I want to either," she sighed. "But your agreement with my father, James..."

He leaned against the armchair and shrugged. "I think, I'll have to kill him in the end."

Mary, taking a deep breath, she shrugged. "Not many will cry for him."

"I think the same," he grunted and poured the glass and sent it across the table to her hand.

"Thank you, sir," she smiled shyly and rose her glass, before she took a sip. "So I shouldn't be worried about you with other women then?" She teased now.

"Considering the fact I tried to sleep with another woman, but my dick didn't feel like engaging in the task..." he said and she chuckled, shaking her head. "You don't have to be worried."

Mary giggled to that. "Anyone else would accuse me of witchcraft."

He nodded and looked at her over the table, until she blushed from his intense stare. "Well, the red hair and piercing cold eyes would only support such theory. Little red haired witch. Who'd fit better to be devil's mate?"

"A little red haired witch," she mused, standing up. She walked around the table and sat down on his lap, that he instantly made available for her turning his chair on the side. "I promise you, though. I didn't do anything, but being difficult for the past months," she snorted. "Now... how does that made you fall in love with me? I'm not sure."