7. The Storm

Few days have passed since they returned from Victoria. Things in the house were still numb between everyone, but definitely better in some way. Mary realized, that she doesn't have anyone anymore. She also realized, that her family might have caused James something terrible, that he didn't reveal to her. She helped in the house and the chores, mostly being quiet and not attending any escape again. So days float quietly and peacefully. By the end of the moon Atticus came back to Nootka after being on the open sea with captain Jack and his crew. They arrived on the house early in the evening and knocked on the door.
"Oh it's you..." Brace said unimpressed with the visit.

"It's nice to see ya too, Mr Brace." Atticus grinned with a chuckle over the frown of Brace.

"Is he waiting for ya?" He asked as they walked inside with captain Jack.

"We wouldn't be here if he wasn't." Atticus shrugged and found James on the living room. "James, me boy."

"I must admit," Jack spoke, while James stood up from a chair and opened mouth to speak, "that I expected you to have more fancy place. Like stolen paintings, golden statues. At least the garden look like a place, not like a grave yard."

"It's good to see you, sit down," James nodded to Atticus and let Jack's comments without an answer. He realized during their first meeting, that whatever he says, he will get a sassy comment back from the man, who in his weird insanity feard nobody. James took three glasses and poured rum for them, then sat back into his armchair.

Atticus though heard the rumours and knew about the condition with the Americans. "So..." he cleared his throat awkwardly, looking around for a moment. "How's married life?"

He knew James too well, to see the expression in his eyes. But James wasn't a type to brag in front of the stanger with a big mouth. "Good. Mary is a good wife," he said shortly, playing with a cup in his hand.

"Mary, oh, only by the name, you can tell she is sweet," Jack grinned.

"So, how did it go?" James glanced from one man to another.

"Everything according the plan, chief," Jack cocked brows with crooked smile. "I admire the new crew members. They are truly men of steel nerves."

The truth was, that James gave many native men job. A huge sum of money came to community, that was fading and people dying under pressure of white men. A night after Robert has been released, James with him and Atticus traveled with money to meet the leader. Money for every family, that will offer a man to work. And James in a one week sent a guarded men to protect families. Meanwhile native Nootkans started to work at docks according to their abilities. From doing spy work, joinig crew on the sea to being regular worker in warehouses. And of course in a place, that nobody knew about James continued in work even without Cholmondeley, who passed away on the ocean.

"They indeed are," Atticus agreed with Jack. "And most importantly, they don't complain or being superstitious about some bloody storm in the sky like the Americans. I swear to god, it was one boy," Atticus started to tell, but light steps coming from the backyard, that walked inside, interrupted them.

"Mr Delaney, I wanted to talk wi..." Mary stopped her feet, when she noticed the guests. "I'm sorry, I didn't know, you're busy." She nodded to them, who turned heads in attention and smiled. Atticus and Jack never saw Mary before and hearing her calling him Mr Delaney, they assumed something else.

"Hello, lass." Atticus dipped his hat. "New maid?" He turned to James with a grin.

"If she is, I call a dips," Jack grinned, cocking brows and James growled, cupping his eyes in despair.

"That's Mary," he said shortly.

"Ah," Jack twiched his nose and exchanged look with Atticus. "My deepest apologies, ma'am," he stood up. Taking off his hat, he bowed. "Captain Jack. Your deepest admirer," he said nobly, then straightened up.