8. A Woman To Carry My Child

Mary changed quickly to her dress again and washed her face on the basin, before she found the rest downstairs. Long after she found Anika in the kitchen. "I left the nighty on the bed. It was very... comfortable," she said quietly and smiled.

"I'm glad, one of my favourite," she smirked. "The storm was awful, did you sleep well? Jack woke up so many times during night, that I'm glad we have a coffee to lift my spirit and body," she chuckled softly.

Oddly she hasn't slept that good in quite long, she realised. Although the bed was small, James' embrace seemed quite comforting. "Yes, everything was perfect. Thank you," she said calmly. "He's a loose sleeper or he's scared of storms?"

"He sleeps poorly his whole life," Anika snorted. "I hope this one will be better sleeper," she patted on belly, that Mary now realized as Anika was wearing different dress, was swollen.

"Oh!" she exclaimed surprised and smiled softly. "I didn't know. Congratulations. You must be very happy."

"Yes, well, it comes sort of naturally. Me, myself, I am from six siblings, so... A big family is something normal for me," she smiled contently. "Children are blessing."

"They are..." Mary agreed with a small smile. Although,not personally had ever experienced something like that. She was the only child of the family and from the turn, how things came around in her life, probably she'll never have her own children. Deep inside that made her sad.

Mary helped Anika to prepare breakfast and they joined men in the dining room. "Would you like to see local market, Mary?" James asked her calmly, when they took a seat by the table. "I have to go see a mayor, so I was thinking, you could go with me, if you want."

She turned to see him surprised. "Of course," she nodded. "I never saw Nootka... on daylight at least."

With a small scoff he nodded towards her and continued eating. Then after they were done, they left. Leaving horses at John's house, they walked toward center of town and entered the square with market. From food to clothes, things for household. "If you need anything, just buy it," James told Mary quietly, ignoring curious glares from people around them.

Mary looked around with a small smile at the place. Market of Nootka wasn't as huge as it was Victoria's, but it was quite pleasant. "No, I don't think, I need anything, thank you. Besides I don't want to keep you from the meeting," she said calmly. I've already stole your boots and your horse once, she thought. She wasn't about to use not a single coin from his fortune, until she got her payment from her work.

"Very well," he said, having no intension to persuade her. Slowly as they were passing by, however Mary ended up with hands full of things. James with his unproachable stern expression made people look down, but people started to give Mary things. Delaney's wife. Of course they were generous and hoped James and Mary will remember them. It would be rude to refuse. From flowers to honey, hat, fabrics. Maybe now Mary realized, what it meant to be Delaney now. "I think, I'll go buy a basket," James murmured, seeing Mary with hands ans arms full of stuff.

Holding all the beautiful things, they gave her, Mary thanked them and smiled for their generosity. "I'm quite confused. Is it respect or fear over you?" She pondered, when he returned with the basket.

"I don't know, you have to ask them, Mary," he shrugged and helped her to put things to the basket. With a small smirk, he put a hat she got on her head. "Delaney," he stated and continued walking.

His words made her cheeks blush a little, but she rushed to catch up his pace. She didn't say anything about it, just walked on his side, until they got outside of the mayor's office. "I can wait here if you want," she told him quietly.