✧ eight

Last Year

     Last Year

    8:43 pm

Rafe. Fucking. Cameron.

The eighteen-year-old with messy blonde hair and ocean-blue eyes invaded Franny's thoughts the entire drive to Tanny Hill for a Sunday night dinner she had to attend.

Her teeth tugged at her bottom lip as she pondered the shady predicament she found herself in. A week before the dinner, she'd seen Rafe twice, once at The Wreck — A seafood restaurant Kiara's parents owned on the Island — the other, a Midsummer Bonfire at Ocean Beach.

Both times, guilt tethered to her like an anchor to a foot when those dark irises met hers. Franny loathed the way he made her feel when they were sneaking around together. Wanted. Because no matter how many smug smiles he'd flash, she knew he was off limits.

And she knew It'd be a fucking disaster if she'd ever gotten caught.

But she'd get lost in him, unable to resist all the attention he was giving her. It felt good, especially since she wasn't used to getting it from guys her age.

Guilty thoughts of the older boy eventually subsided as the wind picked up outside, goosebumps rising on the skin left out from the gray mini crochet dress she wore.

Her back rested against Todd's car, fingers unconsciously tugging at a gold pendant laid flat against her chest, while her gaze settled on the Figure Eight home across the street from where he had parked.

Nerves created this war zone in her head while butterflies clouded the pit of her stomach. It was daunting.

Her mind ran over the reality of the situation a thousand times, eating dinner with the Camerons. The family was always the topic of discussion around the Island. And sleeping around with the eldest son of that family made her face draw a look of terror, belatedly catching her mom's attention.

" Franny baby, you alright? " Her eyes fell from the prominent estate ahead of her to Janet, grabbing a glass tray of Baked Ziti from out of Todd's car. " You look like you've seen a ghost or something."

" Yeah, you've been scary quiet the whole way here," Todd added, shutting the driver's door behind himself.

" Can we just bail — tell them I got Mono or The Flu?" She pleaded, desperately fishing for any excuse that would lead her away from the inevitable.

" Fran, it's not like you're getting enlisted into war, okay? It's just a dinner," Janet sighed, accepting Todd's offering hand, as they began walking towards the home. " You can tough it out for a couple of hours,"

"A couple of hours!?" She repeated, sharing a look that matched her tone. Todd mumbled a few words of encouragement as she dragged her feet, reluctantly following far behind the couple.