✧ nine

TW ✧ mentions of heavy smut ✧

TW mentions of heavy smut

This Year

    11:27 pm

She was surrounded by muffled conversations underlying ceaseless blaring music as the bittersweet taste of cheap tequila and cherry Jolly Ranchers lingered on the base of her tongue.

A blurred gaze captured fireworks illuminating the still blue sky above her while downing another sip of Smirnoff — sitting on the stair step of a semi-crowded front porch.

The burning sensation spiraled down her throat, creating a warm daze throughout her head. Her eyes were heavy, and her nose was scrunched, letting the harsh, clear substance settle in the pit of her stomach while clutching hold of a half-empty red solo cup.

Franny didn't know which was worse, being wholly obliterated after six months of sobriety or being two hours past her curfew.

It was two weeks before the fourth of July when she had relapsed at a house party twenty minutes away from the mainland.

Around 2 am, a few nights before that, she was in bed, engulfed in a sea of soft blankets and Moon Pie wrappers. It wasn't until she fell asleep to another episode of Law and Order when she got a text invite from a classmate.

To Franny, stars were finally aligning because everyone was conveniently busy that same weekend. Astrid was stuck babysitting, KC was still grounded, and the rest of her friends were all going to a bonfire on The Cut.

A desperate act of self-sabotaging played heavily when lying to Janet about her plans that night, saying she and Astrid were going to the County Fair instead — promising to make it back home before nine.

But after indulging in one drink that eventually led to another, it solely consumed her better judgment. Just like it always did.

The constant vibration from her phone drew her back into reality, noticing all eleven missed calls and voicemails from her mom. Instead of facing the situation head-on, Franny avoided it altogether, numbing her worries with countless shots of liquor. Immensely unaware of her body's newfound low tolerance.

Franny knew it sounded selfish to say aloud just as it did to think it, but it all felt worth it in the moment. It felt good.

Until he came along and fucked everything up.

" Back to your old ways, huh, Ryans?"

Franny's head panned over to the voice behind her, stomach tightening at the nauseating sight of a familiar smirk plastered against the rim of a beer bottle. She blinked up at Rafe, sauntering closer to the porch step she sat on.